Chapter 64: Shipwreck

Kaila was eagerly jumping in place not caring about being silent given Lain and Mallix's condition.

Before she even got a chance to say hello Nina was already beating her to it sounding way more out of breath than she should be. She had pauses in between her words as she was desperately gasping for air.

N: Mallix! I...have been trying to call...you and L! The order...Alex called me!...He explained everything!...AND MAN YOU TWO HAVE GOT TO GET HOME!

She shouted with sorrow in her voice, this was not the Nina that Kaila knew of. Even when she was mad at the small girl, Nina made she to keep her cool and not be rash.

But this Nina was panicking, worry was prevalent all over her voice and it was clear that among her gasping for air were silent tears coming down her face.

N: IT'S KAILA!...HER...HER...HER PAR-PARENTS WON! ALEX CALLED ME EARLIER! HE GOT THE RESULTS ALREADY! HE SAID KAILA HAS TO BE BACK WITH HER PARENTS IN LESS THAN A WEEK!

Immediately the small girls heart shattered and broken into the smallest of pieces imaginable. Every inch of her body collapsed into the floor where she stood tears surfacing.

'No, this can't be. They can't have lost. They were suppose to win. She promised me. She promised me they wouldn't take me back! I'm not going back! Not to them! There is something wrong with that judge if he thinks I would give all this up for nothing!'

N: ALEX FILLED ME IN ON EVERYTHING! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THEY WERE SUING YOU GUYS FOR KIDNAPPING CHARGES! AND FILING A RESTRAINING ORDER AGAINST YOU GUYS! YOU'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO SEE KAILA AGAIN!

If Kaila wasn't already broken enough she was now. Her mind, body, and soul were being torn to pieces every time Nina took a breathe. She couldn't even begin to comprehend everything.

N: SAY SOMETHING M! THIS IS SERIOUS YOU AND LAIN NEED TO GET BACK NOW!

Curled up with her arms wrapped around her knees on her chest Kaila dropped the phone to the ground and didn't dare stop the river of tears pouring out of her eyes.

From the phone only inches away from her she could hear Nina shouting again at Mallix before abruptly stopping and her loud and violent shouts turned to a soft voice of concern.

N: Kaila?

Her soft voice could barely be made out behind her cries but because Mallix's volume was turned up high enough it was just enough to break through.

N: Darling answer the phone please, I know it's you.

Hesitantly Kaila picked it up and lifted it to her ear. Nina instantly got a better hearing of just how destroyed she made the small girl.

N: Aw I'm sorry Kaila, I wasn't expecting you to be the one on the other end of the line. You weren't suppose to hear that. Where's daddy now anyways? Is he close by? Can you go give the phone to him?

K: H-h-he...as-as...a-asleep

She was shaking and crying harder than she had ever cried before she could barely even manage to break out those two broken words cut by her occasional hiccups for air.

N: What about mommy? Is she asleep too?

Kaila didn't dare respond with words anymore. Instead she mumbled a yes in response and continued to break down on the floor of their suite.

N: Honey your ok, calm down everything's going to be alright. Your mommy and daddy are very strong people, they'll be able to work something out. Don't you worry about what I said earlier, I didn't mean to scare you. Why don't you go wake up daddy for me and give him the phone, I'd like to speak with him.

Nodding her head behind the phone Kaila struggled to find her balance as she stood up and clumsily walked over to Mallix's side of the bed.

She shook him and whined when he had no response. From the phone Kaila could hear Nina sighing in annoyance the more Kaila whined.

N: I knew he was a heavy sleeper, go try mommy darling. She's usually easier to wake.

Once again nodding, Kaila got to Lain's side shaking her aggressively before she shot up from the bed with an worried look across her face. The second their eyes met Lain scooped Kaila up kissing her face. "What happened baby?" She asked using her thumb to wipe the tears on her cheeks before doing it to caress her face.

Without a word Kaila held the phone out to Lain who confusedly looked at it and put it to her ear.

Once the object left Kaila's hands she turned to her side snuggling deep into the tall woman's hold letting herself sink into her chest finding the most comfort there.

L: Hello? Nina?

N: Uh yeah hey, so I may have messed up big time.

L: N what are you talking about? Are you the reason Kaila's over here having a breakdown?!

N: I'm sorry Lain, I didn't mean to make her upset. I didn't even know she was going to be the one who answered the phone, I was just trying to talk to Mallix!

L: Woah! Slow down! Go back a little. Why were you trying to call him?

N: The...the order results came in today...Alex told me the news...Lain you and Mallix...well you guys...gosh this is harder than it was the first time.

L: What, N! Tell me!

Her voice was full of both rage and irritation already getting a sense of where this was going. The shivering girl in her arms wasn't any assurance, as the two words slipped Nina's mouth Kaila broke further being able to hear it still.

N: You lost...

Silence was left. Only the horrid sounds of Kaila's dry heaving from her sobs, and Mallix's light snoring only a few feet behind them on the other side of the bed were heard.

N: Lain, I'm sorry, you guys...

Everything was happening as if time stopped. Her heartbeat was booming out of her chest and the soft glide of a tear was unnoticeable. She couldn't even hear anybody anymore, not Nina, not Mallix—and not Kaila. Her eyes got dark still echoing the same two terrible words in her head, 'you lost.'

Before Nina could finish Lain hung the phone up placing it down on the bed and wrapping both of her arms tightly around Kaila's body. Scared that if she wasn't holding her tight enough she'd disappear from her hold, leaving behind nothing but sadness and sorrow.
——————————————————————————
Did you guess right? Let me know what you think this means for Lain and Mallix. Thanks Lexx signing off