Chapter 87: Double Date

After putting Kaila down for her nap, the trio took this time alone to fully talk about everything that's been going on.

Tears were being spilt and hearts were hurting reliving the past. Everyone remembered the countless times James would call them out in front of everyone just to humiliate them. It wasn't the fact that he humiliated them that hurt, they couldn't care less about what other people thought of them. It was the fact that he knew their personal stories and exploited it to make a name for himself.

Everyone knew James as the guy with all the details on Mallix, Lain, and Nina's lives. Every secret, every hope, every dream, every goal. If they shared it with one another, he knew it somehow. Using his knowledge of their beings he would target them individually. Showing their weak sides to everyone watching.

Nothing could make them forgive him then, the number of days where they'd need to just take a break from the world to regroup themselves were endless. He needed to be stopped. It wasn't until they were coming upon the end of college and they were looking for jobs did he stop the harassment.

While Nina and Lain knew they were going into the fashion industry, and Mallix was going to focus on writing. James had no set goal for himself. Being only a year younger than his brother left him at a standoff of being left alone or rushing to finish with them. Needless to say he worked hard to graduate at the same time as them.

But it came with another price. He had lost an entire years worth of time to think about what is was he wanted to do with his life. And running out of time and options he opted for the easiest one he could manage in time. He was to become a manger. The only question left now, was who would hire him to manage them.

He knew nobody that would need one besides his old group of buddies he teased. He had to work hard to build even the slightest bit of respect from them. It wasn't until Mallix had pity for him did he and Lain open up their arms for him.

Taking him on as their manger only opened more doors for them anyways, it gave them the head starts they needed for their careers and helped them reach the level of success they now have today.

As they did Lain and Mallix set boundaries with James, strict ones that required him to do most of his work without them, and only when it was necessary would he contact them. And that was how they worked for years on end, that was before Kaila.

Now here Nina and Lain sit on their couch. Happy with their places in the world, contemplating over how someone so devilish could change for the better. Meanwhile Mallix was upstairs ready to fall asleep besides Kaila.

"How does he even understand the definition of caring?" Lain questioned being genuinely confused. "He never once showed any kind of remorse for anything, not even when he threw your baseball into my window as kids and nearly took my head with it."

"Give it a rest Lain, he just does. He's been working on it for a while now, and he really has changed. He wouldn't even dare to hurt a fly anymore." Nina tried for the hundredth time within the past hour to convince her.

"I just don't see it," she complained throwing her hands up in frustration.

"Well then why don't you see it for yourself. I'll call him up and see if he wants to go out on a double date with you and Mallix? That way you can see he really has changed and I get that date I've been wanting. It's a win-win situation." Nina smiled offering the suggestion.

Looking with worry all over, Lain wanted to say no. But after seeing the excitement in Nina's face, she just couldn't.

"Fine, set it up. But what are we doing with Kaila? Cause there is no way I am bringing her along with us if James is going to be there. Until I see for myself he's different, she is staying as far away as she can be."

"Well I'll set up our double date for say tomorrow evening, if you set up a play date with those folks I was telling you about for Kaila. She could maybe stay the night with them or even just the evening. That gives us our time to ourselves." Nina suggested to which Lain nodded in response.

"That works I suppose, I'm going to go call him now." Lain smiles watching Nina jumped out of her seat and run up the stairs as quietly as she possibly could as to not disrupt the sleeping baby.

She chuckled lightly seeing the sparks flying off her dear friend. While Nina was upstairs hopefully scheduling the date and not just talking nonsense, Lain took it upon herself to give these new friends of Kaila's a call.

Picking one of the two numbers Nina gave her Lain hit the call button and waited patiently as the call went through.

H: Hello?

L: Hi, is this Hellen?

H: Yes this is, who are you?

L: I'm sorry my names Lain, Lain Colden. Your girls met my little one, Kaila, at the park a few days ago.

H: Oh, your Kaila's mommy. Yeah my girls were hoping we'd get a call from you sometime soon. They really miss her.

L: Kaila has as well. Say I'm sorry to bring this up to you out of nowhere but my husband and I are going to be busy tomorrow evening, would you mind Kaila coming over for a few hours?

H: No not at all, she's more than welcome. My girls are going to be so excited to hear the good news.

L: Thank you so much, I know Kaila's going to be so excited already to spend some time with friends.

H: I know what you mean, my girls don't get much interaction besides with each other. So this will be good for them...you know, I swear I've heard your name before. What'd you say it was?

L: Colden, Lain Colden.

H: Thats right! Colden! Now I remember you! Your a fashion designer aren't you, and your husbands an author!

Lain laughed hearing the excitement in Hellen's voice.

L: Yea that's us, I take it your a fan.

H: Fan?! Of course I loved your last collection, it was a little pricey for my budget but they were gorgeous and my husband can't get enough of your husbands works.

L: Thats great, I'm glad you like them so much. What do you and your husband do for a living?

H: Well I'm a makeup artist, and my husbands a director.

L: Makeup artist...director. So, you guys work in the movie industry?

H: Yeah, that's right. Oh hey, we both work for the entertainment industry.

L: I guess we do, well if you'd ever like to maybe work on something together I think that'd be a great idea.

H: Really! You mean work with the Colden superstars! Of course! I mean...yeah, that's definitely something I'll take to John to consider.

L: John? Oh now I know who you are. Your Hellen and John Davenport, owners of PortFilms. I loved your rendition of the Shining. It was brilliant.

H: Really?! Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. It was more of Johns project than it was mines. He puts his heart and soul into every film, meanwhile I just prepare the actors to film and then get back to watching our girls.

L: We really should work on something together, I think it'd be great publicity for you, and a new outlet for us to try out.

H: That sounds great, I'll tell you more about the details in person tomorrow when you come to drop Kaila off.

L: Thanks again for having her, I'll be there around three to drop her off.

H: Can't wait, I can already hear how loud the house is going to be when I tell the girls about this.

L: Alright, well I should be going now. It's been nice getting to meet you.

H: Same, it's been a pleasure.

And with that the line ended. Both women feeling accomplished from the small talk they shared.
———————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off