Chapter 28: Backstage

"Hey, hey, hey...your alright cutie," she felt Lain caress her cheek, "stop crying for me please baby your making me sad."

As the bottle was nearing empty Kaila's cries had disappeared and all that was left were the scars of stained cheeks. "That's better baby, calm down." Lain's let the last of the milk run down her baby's throat as she stroked her hair, gently massaging until she was fully calm again.

Once Kaila was better, Lain looked up trying to find Mallix. She hadn't even noticed the door was now shut and they were alone.

As she put the bottle down and checked the time, she still had about an hour before it would be Mallix's and her turn to go for their interview. Making the best of the time, she put the empty bottle down on a coffee table and just said quietly rubbing small circles on her baby's belly.

She watched in adoration as the small girl practically purred at the sensation. Leaning down Lain grabbed Mr. Tuffy off the floor, but rather than handing it to Kaila she stood him on top her legs.

"Why don't we go play a game!" She said in a goofy voice as she moved Mr. Tuffy's to match.

Kaila laughed quietly before nodding her head and grabbing Mr. Tuffy from off her legs. "C-can I play?" She nervously asked Lain as if it were something terrible to do.

But seeing the sweet smile on the woman's face helped put her mind at ease, "of course you can," she got up and grabbed their bag.

She sat Kaila down onto the carpeted floor and emptied the contents of the bag in front of the small girl. While most of them were toys, a few things like more bottles, packed snacks, and pacifiers well as fell out.

"What do you want baby?"

Kaila nervously moved her hand to point at a small baggie. Lain chuckled seeing that the baggie was holding all her pacifiers in them. "Which one would you like cutie?"

She opened the bag letting Kaila dig in to grab a pastel pink one with a golden crown on it, and happily popped it into her mouth.

Lain didn't hold back and cooed down at her baby girl. Closing the baggie back up she pushed all the toys towards a happy Kaila and asked again, "what do you want to play with Kaila?"

This time Kaila nervously moved towards a box. Inside contained miniature blocks that she could build with. Lain smiled and helped open the box and empty the blocks in the front of her baby making it for easy access as she put the rest of the toys away.

She stood up seeing Kaila criss crossed with Mr. Tuffy in her lap, sucking on the pacifier, as she began to build a tower.

When Mallix nor James entered yet, she got worried and seeing Kaila occupied she slipped out momentarily not completely shutting their dressing room door.

"Got it?" James asked rubbing his temples.

Mallix grunted before just giving in, "yeah I got it."

"What's going on out here?" Lain's was lost with everything. She went to her husband wrapping her arms around his neck from behind.

"James was just telling me that this interview is going to last more than an hour. He said it'll be four..." he got cut off by a defensive James, "no I said maybe four! They need different segments Mallix."

"But you said that leaves us with a fifteen minute break between the hours! That's not nearly enough time to come back here, check on Kaila, and get ready for the next segment!" Mallix frustratedly told him off.

"I can't do anything about that Mallix! I already told you that's what the producer of the program told me! If there was more I would tell you. Your just going to have to make it work. Speak of the devil, is that the time, I've gotta go talk with them now. Don't be late to your interview." James warned as he stormed away as Mallix growled.

"Babe, breathe." Lain kissed his cheek.

He took a deep breathe and looked at her sweetly in the eyes. "What are we going to do?" He sounded desperate, he needed an answer and he needed it now.

But sadly that wasn't the case. Lain shrugged her shoulders, "lets talk inside please. I don't need any stray ears listening." Her concerns were valid as other upcoming artists began to linger in the halls.

As soon as they walked in and she shut the door behind them, they were both delighted to see Kaila building a sculpture of Mr. Tuffy out of blocks.

They made their way to the vanity and began to prep themselves for the interview as they continued to talk about business. Kaila was too engulfed in her own world to care.

"What if we alternated saying we needed a 'bathroom break' every time." Lain suggested using air quotes.

"That may work, and if the person who stays can just stall for a few extra minutes that should work. But..." he looked nervously at Kaila, "...we've got to tell her."

Lain sighed before nodding in agreement. As they finished getting themselves ready for the interview, they sat besides their baby girl enjoying the last twenty minutes they had letting their small girl know of the situation.

After explaining it all, they watched as her happy face flipped and she became anxious again.

Kaila had grown to like the attention the couple gave her and she wasn't ready to let them go yet. "Can...can I come with?" She begged not wanting to be alone.

"No precious, you know if we could take you we would." Mallix looked down letting the unliked reality out. But suddenly an idea struck his mind. He got up and found the remote for the monitor.

Turning the volume up he said, "when we go on you'll be able to see us from right here. It'll be like we never left the room." He smiled.

It wasn't the best, but it was better than nothing. So the small girl still nervously nodded before resuming her sculpture.

The only difference was that Lain and Mallix lent her a hand until a stage producer knocked on their door before peaking in. "Mr. and Mrs. Colden, you have five minutes before we need you on set." He stated briefly before leaving.

They took a glance at each other before their baby, seeing her eyes glistening with fresh tears they held her tightly not wanting to leave either.
——————————————————————————
Let me know how you think the interviews going to go. Thanks Lexx signing off