Chapter 19: Slip Up

The rest of the evening, the happy family were curled up on the couch watching the animated grinch playing on repeat. "Again!" Kaila squealed as the end credits once again rolled up onto screen.

Both Lain and Mallix laughed out loud, even though inside they were sighing, "I think that's enough grinch for one day baby. How about we go do something else? A game? Drawing?" Mallix hopped she'd agree.

Thankfully when Kaila nodded both of the duo sighed in relief not having to listen to another Whoville song. They stood up, stretching their limbs as Kaila sat up on her knees making grabby hands for either of them.

Lain didn't have to take another though, she bent down picking up the small girl from the couch and set her on her hip. Kaila relaxed in the woman's hold, resting her head down on her chest as they made their way over to the stairs.

Mallix helped open and close the gates as they went to the second floor. "Do you want to continue coloring baby?" Lain's asked bouncing the girl slightly as she set her down onto a small table.

When she nodded Lain grabbed out the coloring book from earlier setting the tools they'd need in front of them before resuming their coloring session. Half way through her next picture Kaila decided she wanted to spice things up. She grabbed a handful of pink sparkling glitter and threw it down on the page she had put glue on.

While the idea did work and caught a good portion of the glitter, the majority of it ended up on the floor. Mallix and Lain looked up at her as they rolled their eyes playfully. This is what they get for allowing Kaila to use the glitter in the first place.

After some laughs, Kaila repeated her steps and threw this time two handful of sparkling glitter. The only difference was that the small girl hadn't tossed it on the pages of the book. Instead she had tossed a handful of glitter at both Lain and Mallix who sat across focuses intently on their pictures.

She laughed so hard it was making her eyes well up seeing their faces was priceless. But then again, when Lain dug her hand deep within the glitter container and pulled out a huge clump of it, Kaila squealed as it came hurdling her way.

Mallix joined in, and soon they were all at each other's faces with glitter.

Before they knew it the entire area they were in was covered in a rainbow of sparkles. Lain looked up seeing her baby with glitter all over her body. It was all in her hair, on her clothes, stuck to her skin, and the poor thing even coughed out a few to top it all off.

"Someone's in need of a bathe." Lain's said as he dusted glitter off herself.

Kaila smiled and pointed over to Mallix. Lain turned seeing him almost as bad as Kaila. Glitter has just been thrown up all over his entire body.

"Your right cutie, he does." Both girls laughed as he bent his head down shaking around trying to clear his hair as best as he could. "But so does another little someone."

Kaila looked up pleased at Lain as she pointed. "What! Me! I mean I could go for a nice bathe right now, but no cutie I'm talking about you. Now let's go get all clean and ready for bed my little glitter monster."

But that would mean she'd have to give up her playtime. Kaila whined as Lain picked her up and helped her up the final set of stairs to the top floor.

She stood Kaila up in the shower while she went out to grab a towel and outfit. When she returned she saw Kaila laying down in the tub with all her clothes thrown around the bathroom and the tub filling with water.

She quickly dropped the items she had left momentarily to grab on the counter and rushed over to her little one. Lain turned the nozzle to the water off, feeling the suppose to be warm bathe was sizzling hot.

"What were you doing?" She asked almost angrily. Kaila was bright red, she knew Lain had seen her before and didn't care at all how she looked, but she couldn't help but become flustered.

Kaila shrank down in the tub, "I...I just wanted to clean off some of the glitter and I was cold." She explained before looking down as Lain went to drain the colorful tinted water.

"No baby, remember what I told you yesterday. I don't want you taking a bathe alone, it's too dangerous. Something could've happen, and the temperature of this water. You don't need it to be boiling you baby, that's no good. Next time wait for mommy to do it fo..." Lain's lips kept moving and sound was coming out, but Kaila stopped hearing everything.

Instead she was stuck in her head with her eyes wide open, 'mommy.' She repeated over and over again until it seemed unreal. The new name seemed intimidating. Sure she wanted to give this whole thing a try and all, but if it meant using these new names it was going to take a little while to get used to.

"Baby" she was brought out of her thoughts as Lain waved her hand in front of Kaila's face. "Did you hear me?"

When Kaila owl blinked at her, she got her answer. "I just said do you understand, but I'm going to assume no since you couldn't even let me finish talking without losing focus."

"Y-you s-said..." she started before getting to nervous to say anything.

"Said what baby?" Lain's asked confused as she got up to grab a bottle of bubbles and placing besides her.

Her voice got shaking and she got anxious thinking about it, but finally it came out, "mommy" she mumbled.

Lain's eyes widened when the realization hit her. She hadn't even noticed it slipped out. She wanted the first time Kaila said it to be special, not like this. Worried, she looked seeing Kaila playing with her fingers as she was turning a deep shade of pink.

"I'm sorry about that baby, I know your not ready for that yet. It just slipped. You see, Mallix and I were just hoping that one day you would call us mommy and daddy. You're our baby girl and we just want to be here to protect you and nurture you. I just can't wait til the day your comfortable around us enough to be able to say that. But we're still in our early stages with you. Until your ready to say it we'll wait." Lain confessed, admitting to her push.

Kaila accepted her apology and nodded to proceed with their bath time. But there were thoughts lingering in her head, 't-they want me to call them that...I don't think I can do it... not yet at least... but they have been there for me. They made sure I was safe at the mall, and any time someone looked me they made them turn away. Everything they've done has been more than what my parents would ever do for me.'
——————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off