Chapter 57: Adventure Awaits

After a restless night the sun finally decided to wake up. Kaila had been laying quietly in her crib all night afraid of falling asleep. The vivid colors and movement of her nightmare played out so real. She found it hard to distinguish the difference between reality and fiction.

She had spent all night replaying it over and over again in her head, silent tears tell the entire night, each replay only making it worst.

The door to her nursery creaked open and quickly she shut her eyes. 'Please go away, please go away...' she hoped in her head.

But after hearing the sound of a lock and the bed rattle slightly as the gate went down she knew that wasn't going to be the case.

Soon her tiny body was turned around by strong hands, but not wanting to blow her cover she sealed them tightly shut.

"I know your not sleeping, so can you open those pretty eyes for me?" Lain's gentle voice rang out as she used her thumb to wipe away the apparent tears along Kaila's cheek.

Opening only one eye she met Lain's calming face before opening the other. "Good morning," she hoisted Kaila onto her hip and kissed the sad girls nose.

Before deciding to take Kaila down to have breakfast she sat in the rocking chair holding tightly onto the Kaila. Her little body was trembling and she moved in as close as she could be to the taller woman.

"What's wrong baby?" She ran her hands up and down Kaila's back kissing the top of her baby's head trying to calm her down.

But the little one only shook her head, the room was silent and the unknown was bugging Lain, she needed to know what was going through Kaila's mind.

"What's got my sweetheart so sad? Did you have a nightmare?" Finally getting somewhere the little girl nodded hiding her face into the middle of Lain's chest wanting to eagerly listen to the sound of her heartbeat.

"Was the nightmare about the meeting daddy and I went to?" Again another nod and this time a whimper accompanied it.

"Did you have a nightmare that we got the bad end of the stick from the meeting?" She hit a hard spot as Kaila once again burst into tears wrapping her arms securely around Lain's neck and hiding out in the crook of the woman's neck.

Kaila nodded crying hysterically, "you...lost...a-and...I had...I had to go...back with..." she was barely getting any sound out in between her hiccups.

"Back with who Kaila?" Lain became concerned patting her little ones back.

"With...my parents! Don't...don't let them take me away mommy! Don't make me go back to them! I don't wanna leave! I wanna stay here with you and daddy! Don't let them hurt me again!" She confessed her voice was shaking and cracking at every chance it got. It only worsening her sobs.

It broke Lain's heart to hear how terrified her little girl. "Kaila, you are not going anywhere. Daddy and I are working to make sure of that. You don't have to worry about it sweetheart, after the judge finalizes it you won't have to worry about them any more."

"Promise?" Kaila's wet and snotty face pulled out of Lain's neck holding her pinky finger out to the taller woman.

Lain chuckled locking her pinky with Kaila's as the poor girl was wiping away her dirty face with her arm. Internally Lain cringed, "how about a bath baby, then we can go have some breakfast."

After a change of pace, Lain had a clean happy baby once again in her arms as they got downstairs and began breakfast with Mallix. The entire time Kaila's eyes kept glancing over at the front door with a terrified look in her eye. Lain kept reassuring Kaila not to be worried about someone coming to take her.

Once breakfast was done the family went up to the second floor to allow Kaila time to herself and to play with the different toys. Meanwhile Mallix and Lain were in their offices discussing Kaila's nightmare and their family trip.

It wasn't long for Mallix to feel for his sweet girl who was now giggling to herself and Mr. Tuffy with a toy train going around in a small circle around her. He didn't want to see her so scared again.

So as a way to celebrate the win they knew they would get Lain and Mallix began to plan out their outing. Both of them had to get back to work soon, and they wanted to make this time with Kaila as memorable as they possibly could.

They picked their resort and booked their room. Now the only thing left to do was pack, but more importantly tell Kaila of the exciting news.

They walked out to the small girl as her eyes lit up when they took a seat next to her and the train.

"Are you having fun?" Mallix laughed seeing how excited she was to see the train move around her.

She nodded and climbed over the train tracks laying herself down in his lap. "We have some exciting news for you precious."

"What?" She tilted her head like a lost puppy waiting for someone to tell her what was going on.

"It's a surprise but there's going to be many fun creature friends, and games, and rides for you." He hinted. And just when the couple thought they couldn't see Kaila more happy, she clapped her hands squirming around Mallix's lap, unable to sit still.

"Can Rosy and Alia come?!" She abruptly asked to the couples surprise. "And Lauren?!" Catching the duo completely off guard with Lauren's addition to the list, they looked wide eye at each other.

They knew they told Kaila she would be able to see her friends again, but they wanted this to be a family bonding trip.

"How about another time cutie, daddy and I were just hoping it could be us three this time." Kaila's face dropped realizing she wasn't going to be able to see her friend.

"Please!" She begged dropping to her knees giving them a pouty lip and big eyes.

"Another time Kaila, we can invite them to lunch one day but mommy and I would really like it if it could just be us three. We've got to get back to work soon, so we wanted to spend as much time with you doing fun things as possible." Mallix explained and she sucked in her lip collapsing on his lap again sulking as she nodded her head.

"What's going to happen when you guys start work again? What'll I do? I don't wanna be alone." Kaila asked them seriously not wanting to be all on her own again.

"You can come with us to our studio, but you'll have to play quietly by yourself so we can get things done." Lain smiled trying to reassure Kaila things would be fine.

"Now enough of that talk, let's go pack we leave tonight." Mallix ushered the small girl up on his lap and chased her to the gate. Kaila laughed being trapped in as he lifted her up and tickled her sides.

Lain laughed at them opening the gate and they all started packing for their adventure.
———————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off