Gloin ~ Guilt

Gloin looked at you, worry gnawing away at him as he read the tiredness under yours eyes, the slight shrink in your shoulders as you leant on your knees, eyes unfocused, not wanting to hear the battle beyond the wall.

Why did he drag you into this? Why was he so insistent that you join him and his brother on this quest? Hindsight was telling him now that it was folly and it made his stomach turn. If you died, that was his fault.

As if feeling his eyes on you, you looked up and gave him a wary smile, even the spark in your eyes was low.

Gloin sighed and climbed to his feet, sitting himself down next to you. "You should go rest."

You snort. "Rest is not a luxury we have right now."

He nods. "I know, but you need it."

"We all do Gloin." You look at him, noting that he would not meet your eye. "Hey."

He sighs. "I want you at full strength if the battle comes to us, which means you need rest."

You looked at the weight on his shoulders and gave a small smile. "If I rest, you must too."

"What? No, I am-"

"My best friend." You spoke calmly. "Meaning my concern is the same as yours."

Gloin opened his mouth, thought about it, and remained silent.

You rested a hand on his arms. "What is wrong?"

"I..." He swallowed. "I am sorry."

"For what?"

"Dragging you into all this. We've had nothing nut bad luck and ill fortune, with still no end in sight." Gloin frowns as you chuckle, staring at you. "What?"

"Gloin, you dragged me into nothing." You chuckled again, unable to help it. "If I so correctly remember, I jumped at the chance, plus, Thorin asked me the very next day."

"He did?" Gloin asked. "Why didn't you tell me that?"

You shrugged. "It didn't seem important. You'd already asked and I'd already said yes."

Gloin breathed out a heavy sigh. "Well, it was still my idea that put it in his head."

"What? Of dragging another skilled warrior along on the quest? I think not Gloin." You pat his leg. "I would have been insulted if no one had asked."

This got him to chuckle, although weakly. "No doubt you would've stormed after us."

"As long as Thorin didn't threaten my head." You laughed. "So enough worrying about me love, you've got to think yourself through this and survive for that gorgeous wife and little rascal of yours."

"Aye," He breathes, relaxing a little. "And you need to think about starting that family of your own too."

"One day, aye." You clasp him on the shoulder, standing to stretch and eye the wall. "So, one step at a time eh?"

He takes your hand as you offer it, nodding. "One step at a time."

Thorin took that moment too appear, looking clearer than what he had ever been, and it was of little time that the Company were preparing to go beyond the wall, your place firmly next to Gloin.

You noted the tension in his shoulders and nudged him slightly. "We're indestructible love, you have nothing to worry about."

Gloin gives you a wry smile and nudges you back. "Just keep your head on."

"I'd hate to disappoint you." You chuckled but there was no more time as the bell was swung, crashing through the wall, thoughts of home far behind as your feet carried you out into battle.