Legolas ~ Aching to Live

As final discussions were had, Legolas frowns as he realises that you are not present. You were meant to be planning for the final move against Sauron and he knew it was unlike you to not be here, especially after the journey that all of you had been on.

He told the others to wait as he went to find you.

Legolas grew worried as he checked your room, only to find it empty, then the dining hall, but again you weren't there. For a moment he couldn't think of where you'd be and, out of desperation alone, he tried outside.

You were standing there, under the white tree, staring at it.

He could feel that something was wrong. "Y/N?"

You didn't react, making him frown and step closer. "Y/N?"

Blinking, you looked at him, and he could the puffiness around your eyes, making his frown deepen. "Hey."

"Hey," He said softly. "What are you doing out here?"

"I..." You're voice trailed off, clearly not really knowing how to explain.

Legolas glanced at the guards and switched to elvish. "I have never seen you like before. What has upset you."

You shake your head. "Nothing."

"Y/N," He takes your hand. "You have never not been involved in important matters like before, we are almost at the end, now I know you. What has upset you?"

Swallowing, you look back at the tree. "What will we do after this Legolas?"

"What do you mean?"

"Our people are leaving this land, even now we are being left behind. Should this end how we all want it to...I just can't see us fitting into the world anymore."

Legolas could feel your sadness. Softly sighing, her takes a step closer to you, resting a hand on your arm. "We will figure it out once this is over Y/N. There is no point in worrying about a tomorrow that we do not yet know exists."

Your gaze remains on the tree. "The tree is starting to live again."

He follows your gaze and indeed can make out the small buds starting to appear. "The king has returned, just as it was foretold."

There was silence between the two of you for a moment.

"Do you think our people will ever return?" You asked quietly. "Should some of us ever choose to stay, could we wait it out?"

"I do not know," Legolas said, your gaze finally returning to him and he brushes your hair back away from your face. "But it is not for us to worry about now, not at the end of all things."

Your eyes start to shine, so Legolas pulls you into his arms and rests his forehead against yours, both yours eyes closing.

"Words will fail you, closer to your faith," He spoke quietly, so only the two of you could hear. "We can be saved. It doesn't have to be all about sadness, there is still good out there." Legolas places a kiss to your forehead. "It's all to give when you're aching to live again, into the sky, we cannot die."

"That's not really the word choice I would have used." You muttered.

Legolas gives a light chuckle. "Well, it is true, even if that's only from old age." He grins at you. "And I plan to live a very long time with you Y/N, if you'll have me."

You nod, giving a small smile finally as you look at him. "I'm sure I can deal with that."

He watches as you glance at the tree again and shudder slightly before shaking your head and then nodding as if you'd come to a decision.

"Come on then," You take his hand, taking him a little by surprised. "I don't wish to wallow in my head any longer and we have much to discuss before we leave in the morn."

Legolas smiles, letting himself be lead back inside. He promised to himself in that moment that we would make sure that you stayed as grounded as you could, letting you live the life you truly wanted.