Thorin ~ It is only blood...

You always loved but hated watching Thorin train. You knew that he had the skills to handle whatever was thrown at him, and that those he trained with had known him long enough to not allow each other to get too seriously hurt, but the problem came from when they did get hurt.

It wasn't unusual for Thorin to be sporting a few bruises afterwards, maybe even a cut or two, and that was what you hated.

He was your one and you hated seeing him in any sort of pain, even if it was minor and even though you knew that it came with the territory of being both a warrior and king.

But it didn't mean you had to like it.

Today was no different, flinching every time a blade came so much as near to hitting Thorin.

Balin chuckles from next to you. "He is quiet used to it you know?"

"That doesn't make it easier for me." You said, looking at Balin. "You know I hate it when he comes back hurt in any way."

"He can handle himself lass, there's nothing to fret over." He said more kindly. "Small little wounds are nothing. A few bumps and bruises make us who we are, make us stronger."

You snort, but choose not to answer.

The tales that Thorin had told you had been enough, of some of the battles he fought and the wounds he gathered, including ones that could've very easily ended his life. He knew it caused you worry, so his tales began to change, but you still noticed occasional winces in his steps or a slight flinch if he moved something wrong, and it was enough to make you worry. Then there were the scars that littered his body, ones where tales were often too gruesome to tell, but you still knew all of them.

But trying to get others to understand that, especially when he was still insistent on training, was near impossible.

A particularly close call has you draw in a sharp breath of air, shake your head and finally turn away.

"I cannot do it, I cannot watch anymore." You said to Balin, walking away. "Tell him I have gone back to our chambers."

Balin watched you go, an understanding expression on his face, but he just nods and goes back to watching them train.

It felt like too long before you heard Thorin's footsteps coming up the hall and you tried to look like you'd settled in your chair in front of the fire, a book in your lap.

Thorin knew though as soon as he entered and his gaze found you.

A soft chuckle leaves him. "Enjoying your book Y/N?"

You flushed, but looked at him surprised. "Thorin, I didn't hear you come in. How was your training?"

Thorin smiles. "Training was fine, as always, but I think you know that."

You broke away from his gaze and went back to staring at the same page you'd been on for who knew how long. "I wouldn't know, I left you to it."

"Yes, Balin told me." He walks over to the basin and throws water across his face and washes his arms and hands. "He also said that you were worried as usual."

Giving a small huff, you glance at him, only to find him still smiling at you from the mirror. "I always worry for you, it's not like it's news."

Thorin laughs. "This is true, I certainly couldn't ask for someone more devoted to my wellbeing."

"Don't Thorin."

"Don't what? I mean it when I say that I could ask for no more than what you give me, my love, all mild annoyances aside, I still love you."

You huff and stand a little angrily. "Well, I'm sorry if my concern annoys you but I think I have every right to...to..."

You trailed off, your gaze locking onto Thorin's arm, all anger draining from you in an instant. "You're hurt!"

Thorin blinked and then followed your gaze to his arm, where there was now a small trickle of blood traveling down towards his wrist, the small cut having been pumped when he washed.

He shrugs. "It is only blood, I can hardly feel a thing."

"It is not only blood." You said, storming past him to grab a cloth from next to the basin and wetting it through. "It is a cut, meaning you are hurt and if it is not tended to, it could get worse and-"

Thorin caught your arm as you turn back to face him, ready to clean the cut. He gives you a smile. "Y/N, my love, I promise it is fine. I was just nicked by a blade at some point."

It all rushed up to meet you and tears sprung to your eyes. "Why do none of you take me seriously with this?" You shook his hand free and then pushed him until he was seated in a chair, looking at you surprised. "Honestly, don't you at all understand that even small wounds can be dangerous? That they can cause you harm if they are not treated properly. Honestly, you all think that my worrying is troublesome but-"

Thorin's hands were there again, gentler this time, his gaze concerned.

It was too much, the tears broke free, even as you fought them back, shaking your head.

Thorin stands and takes the cloth from you. "Here." He said gently and presses it over the wound, taking your hand to keep it there. "Is that better?"

You shake your head, not wanting to talk because you knew it would make the tears worse.

He pulls you close, taking your face between his hands and pressing a kiss to your forehead. "My love, I am sorry if I have distressed you so, it has not been my attention. Perhaps, being raised as a warrior, I have come not to mind such small things, and maybe I have also not seen things from the same way you do." He places his hand under your chin. "So big and full of love and are as it is, you are sensitive to pain and unable to bear such things, especially when it is those you love."

You sniff and nod, breaking away from his gaze. "I'm sorry Thorin."

"You have nothing to apologise for." He said quickly and pulls you to him in a tight hug. "In fact, I should be apologizing. I should know better than to judge my queen so."

You shudder slightly against me. "I have such horrible dreams at times Thorin, they plague me so badly some nights, all of wounds and-and-"

"Hush," He strokes your hair. "We will get Oin to give you something to help you sleep, and we will get him to check over this cut while he is at it."

"You don't have to humour me Thorin."

"Of course I do. I know that that will help you sleep too."

You relaxed against him, nuzzling close. "I am sorry if I annoy you this..."

He chuckles a little. "I was jesting love, I find it rather endearing that you care so much, especially for a grizzled old warrior such as me."

"You're not that old."

"I feel like it at times."

You giggle and Thorin smiles at you. "Although not old enough that I can still make you laugh."

You press a kiss to his lips and then take his hand. "Come on then, you old dwarf, let's get that cleaned, then I can start worrying less."

He pulls you back for a deeper kiss, still smiling. "As my queen demands. Maybe then you can start watching me train again?"

"Maybe a private setting would be better?" You smiled back at him and then giggled at the mischievous look he cast your way. "Come on! Stop stalling! Let's go!"