Dwalin ~ Distraction

The snores of the Company prevented much sleep, but luckily, being on watch, it also helped keep you awake. It had taken you a few times, but you eventually learnt to drown it out, which meant you could actually focus on keeping watch.

Well, almost.

The dwarves were often reluctant to let you keep watch, not because you couldn't do it, but because you tended to let your mind wander and not actually focus. It wasn't than anything had happened, but more than once you'd forgotten to wake the next one up for their shift, meaning that you were exhausted the next day.

This time round, after a rough few weeks of traveling, they were all exhausted and you were the most fresh, getting sleep every night, so they relented.

You knew that you had to pay attention, and so far, you had managed, the problem was, there was only so many times that you entertain yourself with varying things before you got completely and utterly bored.

Your foot tapped and your hands fidgeted. You weren't sure you could take much more of this.

Standing, you move silently away from your spot, to the outskirts of camp, arms wrapping around yourself against the slight chill in the air. You moved about as much as you dared, just trying to keep yourself occupied, but it wasn't working.

With a sigh, you went and sat on your own, still within ear shot of camp, should anything be needed, and you could easily use the excuse of a bathroom break.

Your gaze wondered to the stars above and you felt yourself steadily relax, leaning back as you followed familiar patterns and then started to make new ones, forming the start of stories that you could see around the stars.

"You know, it's lucky that it was just me you woke up."

You tensed and cast a worried look back at Dwalin, who was standing there, arms folded. "It's not like I did it intentionally."

He sighs and lets his arms fall. "No, I know, but you are away from camp intentionally."

"I can hear perfectly fine." You returned your gaze to the stars, not reacting when he joined you. "Besides, I know a few of you are light sleepers."

"That's not really a good point lass," Dwalin said gently. "Someone could be hurt in the time it takes to wake everyone."

You frown a little, but don't budge. "I need something to keep me occupied Dwalin, I get so restless and bored just sitting there."

"Which is what you are doing now."

"No, no it's not. I-" You huff. "Look, go back to sleep. Everything is under control, I promise."

"I think I'll stay up."

You do face him this time. "What's that supposed to mean?"

He raises an eyebrow. "It means I like your company enough to join you starin' at the stars while you're meant to be on watch."

At that moment, you were glad it was dark, your face flushing as you cleared your throat and shuffled a little. The relationship between you and Dwalin had always been odd, something that others didn't know whether to call a relationship or not, and ypu were pretty neither of you knew what to call it, except for when he came out with comments like that.

Dwalin was smiling. "Something wrong Y/N?"

"Of course not," You said quickly. "But don't you find this boring?"

"No, I get to spend time with you, that's never boring." He leans back. "Especially if you share those stories you're thinking of."

It was your turn to smile. "Never took you as someone to like stories so much Dwalin."

He grunts and shifts closer to you, your shoulders touching. "Well, let's keep it between us. If we're caught, we're both dead."

You nod in agreeance, turning your gaze skyward once again, but this time pointing out the patterns to Dwalin and telling him whatever story came to mind.