Smallest, Weakest, Slowest, Youngest (part 2)

Dick had made it back to the cave, Clutching one Damian on his bike; they'd arrived home, Alfred had helped bandage Dick's cuts, and the boy had gotten changed into his pyjamas, all while crying and without saying a word.Jason

Damian had also gotten changed, deciding he didn't want to go back out. Dick's outburst about Jason's death had struck some chords. Damian didn't care when Jason joked about the laseryth pit, or about being a zombie, but this was different. 

The young man paced outside the boy's bedrooom, he was worried for his baby brother. 

He knocked.

No answer.

He knocked.

No answer.

"I'm coming in."

No answer.

He pushed the door open. Dick wasn't aloud to have a lock on his door, Bruce was too paranoid that something bad would happen in the middle of the night. Damian also happened to know that When Bruce got home late he liked to look into Dick- and sometimes even the other brother- bedrooms; watching them asleep and reassuring himself that his children were alive and well.

Dick was curled up in bed, he wasn't crying anymore.

"Are you alright?"

He turned so far towards the wall his face was completely hidden. 

"I won't leave until you talk to me."

"...why?"

"Because I don't like not knowing what you're thinking." It was an honest answer.

"I don't wanna be Robin anymore." Robin said. 

Damian wasn't surprised, he went through this with a different sibling once every six months or so.

"Why?"

"Well, there's a lot-"

"There's a lot of reasons, but what is it right now? why don't yo want Robin right now?"

Dick was silent for a few seconds. "Robin is weak."

"Do you say that because Drake and I are more experienced than you?"

"-And Jason!"

"Todd is seven years older than you. You haven't even started puberty yet, of course you're not very strong. You won't even have a chance at being stronger than him until you're at least fifteen. If you're not strong now, than you just have to train and wait. You can't expect to be sixteen when you're nine." He stated flatly.

"I'll never be that strong."

"Why? because as a nine-year-old you can't keep up with one of the fastest motorcycles in the state?"

Dick was quiet.

"Stop trying to be strong, it'll make you weaker, physically and mentally."

Silence.

"You can't save Gotham if you're fighting yourself. Don't get discouraged before you even line up to race."

"Okay."

"Good." The young man stood up to stretch. "I'll be in my room if you need me."

Dick didn't need him for the rest of the night