I: First Meeting

You didn't know why. 

But for some reason, balls love you. 

Yes, balls. Even if you had distanced yourself from a few meters away, or had completely ignored ball games at the gymnasium, balls would always come flying your way— a joke created by fate that held no discrimination. Whether it be a basketball, a tennis ball or a volleyball, as long as they were in the vicinity, one of their stray balls could have the ability to suddenly appear before you, like a puppy returning to its owner. A very painful puppy.

And the process has made your small body extremely resistant to it. 

"Claire, there's a volleyball game at the gymnasium. Do you wanna come watch?" 

"No." You say with a weird dignified look, looking like a warrior that had been hardened by countless battles. 

"I didn't bring my helmet." 

"What." 

"Come on. I heard they were having an exhibition match." 

"I don't like seeing tall people." You groaned, as they were the bane of your existence, an insult straight to your face. But she only brushed you off. This were your usual lines and your friends had grown accustomed enough to ignore it. 

You temporarily contemplated, wondering why you befriended someone you couldn't say no to. You wanted out of danger zones. But you were already inside the gymnasium and the place was crowded. 

And look what your rotten luck got you, they were having their warm up. You look at them, nodding as you examine their well-built physique and because it was the first time in a while that you saw new and foreign players. 

But it was easy to tell who stood out. A huge man suddenly slams the ball with a spike and you turned to look at the obvious direction the shot was heading for, satisfied that it wasn't headed towards your direction. 

You spoke too soon.

And you realized you did when you saw that it was heading for your friend. 

Just your rotten luck. You suddenly prowled towards it, as agile as a cat and managed to dig the ball up.