XXII: "Normal" Friends

Ushijima Wakatoshi looked at the strange site— your friend, Ayaka had just been taken by a shady guy to a very shady location behind a school building.

He catches you looking but you only looked at him after you saw the whole thing.

"Let's head to the gym then?" You say and he narrows his eyes. What was happening was as clear as daylight. You were pretending as if you haven't seen anything.

The way he looks at you was basically saying it all. He wanted to know what was happening or why you were acting this way. You didn't take him as that type. So he could be concerned if needed.

You sighed. "She'll be fine." You brushed him off. But it looked like he was genuinely concerned.

"You don't get along with one of your friends?" He suddenly asked. It must have been something that popped up in his head when he's trying to think of justification for what you were doing. After all, he had seen you and Norrie interact more most of the time.

You only laughed. It must have looked that way. But you wanted to assure him that what he was thinking wasn't the case.

Plus, you didn't want to tell him the entire thing.

But the way his brows furrowed only made you sigh even deeper. Oh gods. "Fine. Fine." You say and had him trail behind you as you follow the direction to where Ayaka had been brought to.

Chiyo Ayaka is a student from the Architecture Department, a foreign exchange student who you became acquainted with through Norrie when you were a sophomore.

Norrie had been addicted to anime and manga in high school and was ecstatic to meet the Japanese. And their personalities vibed pretty well so they automatically became friends. Before you knew it, you were thrown in the mix and the three of you had been buds ever since.

It was a pretty convenient friendship as Ayaka had taught you and Norrie Japanese. It was the reason why your circle of friends could easily communicate with Ushijima compared to the other students here. Sure, they were plenty who were interested in the athlete, but they couldn't really talk to him because of the language barrier.

And now, that same athlete was thinking that you were playing favorites with your friends. You take a deep sigh.

Contrary to what he was thinking, you do care for Ayaka. It didn't need to be announced, given how you had vented your anger towards Ushijima's teammate before.