XV: Intramurals Date? (2)

Ushijima Wakatoshi was more observant than you thought. He leans forward as he watches the ace of the university's volleyball club spike once again. 

You shake your head at the site. "What... do you think of him?" he suddenly asks you. You cross your arms as you look at the ace. "Decent. Great muscle development. A traditional canon." you say and he looks like he wasn't satisfied with your answer. In fact, he was asking for more details.

You roll your eyes. Fine. "Andrei Williams is a player who could hit any ball." You say. He tilts his head slightly in question. "Yeah, Didn't you notice how unconventional the sets being tossed to him are?" You add and he nods, realizing it. 

Andrei Williams does not have a decisive winning pattern like the one Ushijima was used to— where a high toss could ultimately secure a point. Though they had the same skill set, the foreigner's play style was actually different.

"That's basically the idea of his playstyle. Andrei Williams isn't just a traditional canon. He is a canon that will always be a canon no matter who uses him." You explain. It was a good playstyle, but it isn't as humble as you make it out to be. After all, this playstyle itself states where his arrogance stems from. 

"You know what that means? Since he's a canon through and through, Andrei Williams doesn't need a good team. A good team needs him."

But you only puffed out your chest as you cross your hands once again. You hate arrogant people though you have a tendency to be one yourself. "He's only good as reference for now. So make sure to pay attention." You point to Ushijima's face and he nods.

"You see how he controls his arms? Yes, it's flexible enough to adjust to the various types of sets given to him. And he could exert power in them as well even if it wasn't a good toss. That's what we're planning to do." You give him pointers one by one. 

"A guy like you needs to be a canon who can be used by anyone. I'm not saying you should completely be like that dude. Be like him but don't think like him. There's a difference. Volleyball is a team sports and a team is necessary. The moment you think you're special in a team sports, you are done for." You spoke to him calmly.

"Good players will be everywhere in the professional scene. Individual strength is what's valued in entering the pro leagues. And although your spot is already there, if you want to be at the top, there's a never-ending brawl up there." You say, pointing to the skies.

His eyes widened. He felt like he could see it. He was an eagle that's only been exposed to the vast skies recently— a sky filled with birds and animals of all kinds with one clear goal in mind, a place at the top. And he stood there on the boundary that separates the land and the sky where his place is clear— Right now, he was a challenger.