XXI: Hanging Tree

—Some months again after the BBQ party—

Ushijima Wakatoshi often visits you every three months or a couple more months after. He usually stays in the country for not more than three days. 

You had him sleep at your place instead of having him stay at a hotel. He practices at the indoor court, lift weights at the gym inside your house, and he could even eat your food, so he had no complaints anyway.

And today was just like one of those days. It was a hell week and he was lying on the couch at the living room. It was around 10 and you realized a problem when you looked at your stash, completely forgetting to restock on an ingredient.

You approached Ushijima as you needed something from him. The athlete glances at you. He was reading the magazine comfortably on the couch that was long enough for his legs to completely stretch.

The bastard looked really comfortable in your house from the way he lazily lies on the long couch. But you told him to make himself at home anyway. If you had neighbors, they'd probably mistake him for your long distance boyfriend from how he instantly fetches you right after class and goes with you home while he's carrying his luggage and all. 

But of course, he isn't like that. In fact, you know the perfect label for him. 

He is your long distance doggo. 

"Goliath, come with me to the nearby convenience store." You say to him. 

"Why?" He asks.

"The reason is embarrassing." You say.

He looks up, taking a guess. "Are you scared of the dark?" he asks.

"I am not a child." You pouted. 

But yes, you were afraid of the dark. But you ain't gonna tell him that that was the reason.

"Then what is it?"

"It's the police." You say.

The police? He gives you a questioning look. Why would you be afraid of the police?