🦅XXXIX: Manager (2)

As he brought you to the gym, you realized it. Ushijima Wakatoshi really was some kind of superstar with the way all eyes were on him.

"Goliath. I didn't realize sooner... but you're pretty famous here, aren't you?" You nudged at him, realizing how everyone was looking at his direction in awe. The athlete only nods, his lips in a thin line. Maybe he was used to it after all since he looks so unaffected. 

But unbeknown to you, you couldn't see the uneasy bead of sweat dripping on the other side of his face. His ears have been ringing ever since he had accompanied you.

"Oh my."

"Is that... Is that real?"

"Wow. She looks like a doll."

"Did our school always had that kind of girl?"

"Is it the volleyball club?"

"Isn't that our former ace?"

"Then she really must be from the volleyball club!"

He looks at you again. He wonders why you weren't hearing anything but the curious gazes you do as you look around was sufficient reason. This was the first time he had experienced something like this. He normally doesn't even care about anyone or any attention for that matter. But he didn't want anyone to interrupt your curious gazes, a domineering aura already subconsciously leaking from him in response. 

Suddenly, he could now make sense of your ridiculous wig habits. If he guessed right, this was most probably the first time you had looked comfortable without any wig outside. And with such a curious smile too.

He suddenly pats your head and you gave him a puzzled look. "Are we there yet?" You ask and he replies shortly, "In a bit." You heard him say and look at the way you were still holding the edge of his shirt. Ushijima had always instructed you to do so anywhere so you wouldn't get lost. To think it became a habit.  

You glance around once again. You didn't know a lot about high schools in Japan. But you could tell how the size of the gymnasium wasn't normal even as you looked at it from afar. 

You made a mental note, remembering where it was. And you feel Ushijima slow down in front of you, making you bump slightly on his back.