II: Varsity

"Please join the varsity team!" A girl bows down before you. You look at her as your eyes squint, trying to figure out one question— what sport was she referring to? 

But you couldn't really remember. How many times have you heard these kinds of proposals though? And why were they suddenly asking now? 

You suddenly remembered how you've received that japanese player's spike just a few days ago. You've forgotten a couple of things— like how you've done it in an exhibition match and how it's been seen by a load of people. 

You gaze at her, uninterested. But your answer will always be the same everytime. 

"No." 

You've always received requests from athletes once they've seen you play. And this wasn't new. You've had the chance to compete on numerous competitions before, even managing to gain a few golds on the olympics from various sports when your height was still average for your age.

But you've stopped once you didn't start growing, hiding from the spotlight. It was a decision you did not regret.

You wanted a life out of competitions. But you always underestimated how your physical abilities subconsciously show everytime. And you've lost count of how many times you've been urged to return. But you were uninterested everytime.

So you could only do what you could do just like every other interaction you have with with recruiters— run away. 

You scoured for a place to hide, suddenly catching a large figure on a nearby tree. It was strange, how a tall person, the bane of your existence finally makes itself useful. 

"Hide me." You say shamelessly to the stranger and he just stands there, stiffer than the tree beside him. You wondered why. 

And when you looked at him, it made sense. It takes you a couple of second to figure out who he was. 

"AH! THE VOLLEYBALL DUDE!" You yelled. Ushijima Wakatoshi looks at you uncomfortably.

"Ushijima, right?" You ask and he nods. But you suddenly become quiet as you peek the view past him. 

"Why were you hiding?" He asks. 

"She was asking me to join the volleyball club." You reply without hestitation.