IV: Training

Ushijima Wakatoshi's team had a two-month training program at the university in this foreign country. It was a chance to play with foreign players and foreign teams— an experience and exposure they needed to broaden their viewpoints. Though his viewpoints had certainly been broadened the first time he saw you. Even the best liberos would need to take a certain amount of experience in order to receive a ball he spikes on a regular basis but you received it without any problem.  

He doesn't doubt your physical abilities. He had felt your arms and hands up close to confirm the callouses and how they haven't been neglected to disappear. But he will not acknowledge someone like that, who was so confident in the path they were taking. He doesn't understand your intentions nor to where someone like you was headed. He was sure. Someone like you could only remain an athlete. Yet seeing you so confident in your decision didn't sit well with him.

He had followed your menu to the last detail, wondering how such a thing could help and how he couldn't see anything wrong with it. And strangely, his arms were more flexible and could exert more power when he willed it to. But distractions weren't needed even in a practice match. 

"Ushiwaka!" The setter gives him a high toss. And he runs up and jumps, three blockers in the way. He suddenly remembers the words and the advice you scribble down, never having the chance to put it into use in an actual match. His eyes flare up as he slams the ball and his arms twist to direct it into the direction he wants it to go. It flew past the blockers in a nasty angle as it lands on the opposite side of his position. The ball ricochets afterwards from the impact.

The other stopped, in awe of what he just did. "That's a magnificent inner cross, Ushijima!" His team exclaimed and he only nodded. But his mind was on other things. It could've been a coincidence. But even if it was, he'll just have to try again to make sure. And strangely enough, all his doubts were answered that day.

"Ushiwaka's on a roll."

"As expected of one of the top spikers in highschool."

He could hear the praises in the background as he panted. But it didn't look like he was pleased. His eyes widened in realization. 

It worked. Your training menu worked. His brown furrowed as he suddenly wears his varsity jacket.

"Where are you going?" his teammate asked and he answers. "I'm taking a run." 

He steps outside, looking at the familiar afternoon sun. He was taking a run to clear his head. He needed to think. And strangely enough, he stumbles upon you. 

You were taking your usually route and you spotted him looking at you. Though you had to admit that it was impossible to miss a guy with that kind of raw power and aura leaking around him.