༒ One ༒

⇺  ⇻ ♕ ⇺  ⇻

How it started

The deer across the cliff hid behind a tree while I was waiting patiently to shoot it with my arrow. It took a lot of effort not to give up on these kind of moments. But wasn't that what life was about? My father teached us never to hold back our dreams, to fight for them as if they were our only option. No other way to survive.

Only, growing up as a princess, my destiny had been determined. Keeping me from all my other goals through life. I should grow up, be the right hand of my older sister. Be her shadow. I would find a man at court, or if I was lucky, as my father told me once, I would marry a soldier. Those weren't any of my dreams, never have been either.

The deer runs towards a large rock behind the waterfall. I focus my eyes on the tip of my arrow, only seeing the deer's head. The waterfall has no beginning, nor an ending. It falls out of the bright sky, the water glistering in the light of the sun above it.

Ethura was my family's kingdom, my legacy, and I promised myself that no matter what would happen, I would protect our kingdom. I would fight for it. But my father keeps me from fighting.

'A princess shouldn't be a warrior', he once told me. It is like a punishment, I never asked to be born a princess. For as far as I knew, Ethura didn't even have female knights. It's a shame in my eyes, but my father doesn't agree.

For a second, the wind stops blowing, my reddish hair no longer in my eyes, blocking the view. The deer jumps on the rock, I strengthen my grip, point the arrow and shoot.

Too late.

The deer has run away just like all my dreams. I sigh and look around for a potential other victim but weirdly it has been calm these days. Everyone around the castle was acting weird. Even our dragons could feel the tension in the air. Something was going on, but no one told me anything.

Carefully, I take another arrow from my leather bag and point it towards the rocks in the distance. There was no deer to be seen on the other side, not even a small goat.

Behind me, footsteps approach the edge of our Rose Garden. The grass creaking under the feet of my visitor. I had been hunting here for a while now, my father couldn't see me through the large trees and many colourful flowers, and the staff wouldn't ask questions. It was perfect.

When the familiar sound gets closer behind my back I strengthen my arrow again, a smile appearing on my face, my eyes focusing on a new deer that had appeared at the wrong time.

'Your father asked to meet him in his office', Levi stands next to my horse, stroking him on his back. I couldn't find the right position to shoot my arrow and kill the deer in the distance. The wind decided to annoy me again.

'He thinks you are in your bedroom, I didn't tell him what you actually were doing'. The sarcasm is audible and I turn around to point my arrow at the mocking boy behind me.

'You shouldn't lie to a King, Levi. I thought you were smarter than that', I frown at him and lower my bow. 'Besides, since when does father need my help? He has his advisers for that'.

'I don't think he wants to talk to you about politics', he smiles shy, looking at the grass under his feet. I walk over to him to give my bow and arrows. 'Hide them', I whisper before walking past him towards the castle. 'And lead my horse back to the stable. Make sure Spirit isn't cold this night'.

'As you wish my princess'.

I turn around in a rush and see a teasing smile on his face. 'Don't call me that', I warn him for the thousandth time. He holds up his hands in defend.

'I'm not lying to your father again!', he screams from behind me which only makes me laugh harder.

'You will', I warn him and walk up the border that leads to the main entrance of the castle.