༒ Fifty-five ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

After the confrontation and the ceremony for my dragon, I stayed in my room for a few days. Only going downstairs for dinner. The citizens may hate me, but funny enough they had noticed my absence during a few dinners and sounded worried.

I wasn't doing this for them, I was trying to focus on me and what I had to do. I hadn't talked to August anymore, sure that he was making a plan also. Still we needed more people to support us than only the soldiers who had witnessed our discovery, we needed citizens.

The only problem was that they still seemed to have their own riots. Some of them claimed that soldiers of another Kingdom had tried to attack them in the village, which wasn't possible because the Separation Bridge was protected by guards and a magnetic field. If Queen Emersyn was planning on attacking us, she had no other option than to cross the bridge.

I felt my own strength build up again and concluded that maybe rest was a good thing, something I didn't believe in a few months ago. The candidates had been by our side for at least half a year right now, and I was wondering when Valentina would finally choose someone. She was making me crazy.

I was browsing through the history book again when a soft knock on my door woke me up from my overthinking. I didn't even bother to look up when I told the person behind the door to come in. I was too focused on my own thoughts, trying to make sense out of this situation. Ivory was a real island, either way my father wanted to believe it or not, we had enough prove. We only missed one important indicator: where was it located?

Someone walks in carefully and when I decide to be polite, Cameron stands next to my jewellery table, his expression soft as he walks closer.

'Milady', he says and bows clumsy as always which makes me laugh a little. 'Long time no see', he remarks when I don't answer.

'I was at dinner', I remind him. A vague smile appears on his face when he takes a seat in front of me.

'Really? You have been so quiet lately', he says sarcastic but it doesn't make me smile as it should. I stare back at the book on my desk, not getting any wiser out of that.

'I may be checking in on you', Cameron admits after a long moment of silence. I look up at him, his green eyes amused when they find mine.

'You shouldn't', I remark but it doesn't seem to bother him. He turns my book to him without asking, taking it from me in only a second.

'Cameron I ...'

'Ivory', he whispers and raises an eyebrow.

'How did you know?' He tilts his head slightly, turning the book back to me. 'The symbol is remarkable', he explains, a goofy smile playing on his face.

'Not many people recognize it'.

'Not many people are raised in a family of historians', he answers soft.

'Historians?'

'Well, my grandfather always had these stories about islands that may or may not exist. Ivory was one of them but we all believed it was real. Some other citizens do also', Cameron explains without looking away from the book. All I can do is stare, not understanding how I missed the fact that someone very close to me believed in something I only figured out existed until a few months ago.

'If it makes you feel any better, I believe that Queen Emersyn indeed was the person who killed your dragon. Although, now that the symbol of Ivory is engraved on him, I have my doubts'.

'You thought she did it?' I ask relieved.

'Of course. Again, I am very impressed by your bravery but maybe next time you shouldn't confront her with cameras all over the place', he vaguely smiles at me and for the first time since the event I can laugh about it too.

'The citizens must hate me', I sigh.

'Most of them', Cameron notices honest. 'Rosa, they are only afraid of war. Once the Selection is over this will be old news'.

'Do you think there will be a war?' I ask concerned, trying to find comfort in his face.

'Your father has been sending apology letters to the Queen but he has no answer yet. I'm not sure if she will start a war over this'.

'If she does it's my fault', I notice, feeling dizziness come up again as an old friend. I lay my head on my hand to let it rest, another headache raising up.

'Are you feeling good?' Cameron asks when he takes my other hand in his. The warm touch surprises me and I look him right in the eyes, feeling tears behind mine.

'I believe that for the first time in my life I am afraid', I admit. He takes my hand tightener, our fingers entangled. My breathing fastening with every little touch.

'August told me about the vision and what you saw. You have to understand I am here for you', he whispers. We sit like that for a moment, the sun going down behind my window. I couldn't think in a normal way with him by my side. Especially not with his hands in mine.

The soft green in his eyes makes me feel the safest person in this Kingdom. I didn't want to be dependent on someone, I had to feel safe by myself. I release my hands in a rush, understanding how wrong this is. For a second, Cameron seems surprised but he puts himself back together quickly, not showing his emotion.

'Shouldn't you be with my sister?' I ask confused and walk over to my door to let him out.

'Rosa, I ...'

'You really should go, Cameron', I whisper when he stands next to me in the doorway. He nods softly before walking into the corridor, his shoulders low. I watch him walk until he reaches the corner, our gazes meet one more time and then he disappears. I slump down the wall, not wanting to cry over someone I couldn't have.

He was breaking the rules for me, but he could get in some serious trouble if I didn't stop him right now. I didn't want him to be hurt, I'd rather be hurt myself.