༒ Forty ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

I had been feeling horrible all day, even at dinner I couldn't enjoy the laughing of my father who seemed rested for the first time in months. August had noticed that, but I hadn't bothered to look at him, he didn't understand.

After dinner I wander around in the corridors, going nowhere to be exactly. As I expected, Madame Orsini was busy in her classroom, organizing papers and again not giving me the chance to take her book. I would do it after the interviews tomorrow, I promised myself. I only needed help of certain people.

In the library everything was quiet when I opened the double doors, walking in the light of a few small candles. There was no change I would find another history book of Ivory in here, it would be wasted time.

When I walk through the small hallway's, made out of shelves, a soft mumbling sound gets my attention.

In this labyrinth of books it was almost impossible to find the person who was hiding but still I was curious, and I had something else to focus on. I take a book from the shelve in front of me, deciding to take it with me and walk further to the sound, approaching it quiet. When I look through a bookshelf where some books are missing, I see Cameron sitting on the ground under a window, mumbling whatever he is reading.

I decide to turn around, not wanting my feelings to get involved again when he looks up and sees me standing, hiding behind a shelf. I quickly walk further, trying to act normal when he wants to get up.

'You don't have to ... bow', I say immediately, relief appearing on his face. 'Are you nervous for tomorrow?' I ask, taking place next to him on the ground which seems to amuse him a little.

'I've never done an interview before, at least not for a big crowd', he explains while browsing through the book on his lap.

'I'm sure you'll do great. Not everyone expects you to be perfect', I say looking up at him. The look in his eyes softens a little when we stare at each other and I look away immediately when my stomach feels bad again. Those stupid green eyes.

'You read', he notices while looking at the book in my hands. My throat gets dry, not being able to say something. I nod a little and he laughs soft. Why do I have to act like this? Outside the thunder and lightning bolts interrupt our silence when we both lean against the wall behind us. I look up at the window above me, the light going through it and illuminating the whole library for a few seconds.

'I love this weather', I say without even thinking and get a grimace from the boy next to me.

'It makes you feel save', he remarks and I couldn't understand how he did this. He knew me perfectly, without even talking much.

'It does', I admit and smile at him, not uncomfortable for the first time this evening. 'Do you enjoy the life in our castle?' I ask curious.

'I do. Sometimes I miss our farm and my family but this isn't bad at all', he laughs a little and I join him.

'Where in Ethura do you live?' I ask curious.

'The south'.

'O', I say a little stunned.

'I know it's not the richest part of this island but we survive', he whispers.

'Your family must be glad that you are here', I remark and he nods in agreement.

'They are', he assures me and I decide not to talk further about this. I hadn't realised until now how thin he actually was. Seeing his arm next to mine, made me freak out a little, and not because of the touch.

'The other candidates are great too', he notices when we keep quiet again.

'Both?' I ask jokingly which makes him laugh, the green in his eyes twinkling in the candle light.

'Theo is sociable and artistic, although he isn't much of a fighter', Cameron explains.

'I heard about that'.

'And Ezra is really going for it. I can't tell you how much gifts he has given Valentina. But as her sister I'm sure you know', he says. I nod a little, the fact that he thinks I'm close with Valentina makes me doubt about the way she must think of me. Maybe she isn't gossiping about our fights all the time.

'And what about you?' I ask before thinking and immediately regret it, not wanting to hear these stories.

'I had a few dates with your sister, although sometimes I think she doesn't act the way she normally does. I mean, it's like she's hiding a part of herself', he explains. 'I just want to be with someone who acts like herself', he adds unsure.

'I'm convinced Valentina is only nervous'.

'Maybe', he mumbles. I wipe with my hand over the cover of my book, trying to remember something of him to talk about. But it was harder than I thought it would be.

'Didn't you have sister?' I ask unsure. The spark in his eyes comes back immediately, showing the proud he has for this girl.

'Yes. Her name is Audrey. She always wants to help our neighbours who have trouble. She looks up to you', Cameron says, looking me right in the eyes.

'To me?' I ask confused.

'Audrey loves bravery, the citizens think of you like that. You aren't exactly a formal princess', he laughs and the tense feeling goes away again.

'Why are you that sure?' I ask challenging, which he seems to enjoy. Cameron turns to me, leaning against the wall with his arm.

'Well, for example, I have never seen princess Valentina sit on the ground like this', he says, getting a look of me. 'That is why you think I am brave?'

'No, there are many reasons, Rosa. It's just the small details, the fact that you don't wear a dress while horseback riding, the fire in your eyes when you watch the soldiers fight. Or most important, the fact that you don't seem afraid of anything. You almost got burned by a dragon, and still stood up only a few seconds later'. While he's explaining this I dream away in his eyes, trying to pull myself together when he is done.

'You are a good observer', I notice and turn to the front again, not wanting this to go on much longer. He was here for my sister, not for me. Although, I wasn't really sure why he was here. It didn't seem to me that he wanted to become King at all. I keep quiet, just like him when we stare at our books, not knowing what to say. Our moment gone.

He had said much more to me than our first conversation on the roof, and I couldn't be more happy about that. But it felt wrong. I sat on the ground of the library with a candidate, father would punish me if he would find out.

A candle blows out by a bit of wind that comes in through the double doors, we both look at each other, laughing by the thought that we both startled a little.

'Can I ask you something?' He says in the slightly darker space now.

'Of course'.

'You don't have a good relationship with your sister, do you?', his eyes soften when he turns to me again, trying to catch my look.

'No, we don't', I admit, filling the room with tension again. 'Elliott and I have a better relationship with each other, Val almost never talks to us, I ...' I keep quiet holding a hand before my mouth. 'I'm sorry, I shouldn't say this', I apologize. He lays his hand on my arm, making me remove my hand from my mouth.

'Honesty is a good thing, Rosa. You don't have to lie to me. I have to say sorry, I shouldn't have asked in the first place. That was inappropriate', he explains. I shake my head in disagreement.

'You don't have to be sorry', I whisper and release my arm from his hand. 'I should get some sleep, tomorrow is a big day', I remind him and the anxiety appears on his face in a second.

'You'll do great', I whisper before standing up and walk through the double door, not realising what had happened.