༒ Forty-one ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

The sun came up way to early the next day. At least my dreams hadn't ruined my sleep and my window didn't open itself. Today the interviews of the candidates took place and I could only hope for the best. I never liked doing interviews or speaking in front of a camera, because one mistake and you were done.

After this day, every citizens in Ethura would talk about the candidates, searching for mistakes they made, their good and bad qualities and most of all: are they King material? All I was hoping for was that they wouldn't make a fool of themselves, but with the tutoring of Madame Orsini, I doubt that.

I asked Jade to be my right hand during the interviews, which basically meant that she had to sit next to me in the audience. Sometimes they would film our reactions but that was all, nothing horrible. She had made me a half long dress, off shoulders with as usual some flower details. I didn't care much what I was wearing, as long as it was a dress. My father would kill me otherwise.

For this day, I made sure Jade had also a formal dress and not her maid's dress. Their uniforms were a simple grey colour with some deep red details and golden buttons. But for today I made other plans and gave her a dark blue dress with a matching belt. The sleeves long and a tie neck collar which made her look as important as she deserved. I take one last look in the mirror, my eyes still tired from the early hour of the day and walk towards the Great Hall, my heels in my hand.

⇺ ⇻ ♕ ⇺ ⇻

Once I arrive at my place I put on my heels which a few people laugh about, but I don't care. Heels weren't for every girl, we had to live with that. It was weird to sit in the front row and not on the tribune in my usual throne that had been taken away.

The people gathered around, most of them also tired. Even the sun was barely a few seconds awake. Any citizen who would wake up to watch this specially, I declare mad. They probably could read it in the newspaper anyhow.

Jade walks over to me, followed by Elliott and her auntie when they take place next to me, Jade on my right, Elliott on my left.

'I can't thank you enough for this dress', Jade sighs and we hug fast before everyone sits down. On the tribune, Valentina and my father sit in the front row, with behind them the three candidates a little higher so we can all see them.

Ezra seemed confident, but Cameron and Theodore were another story. I look over at Cameron trying to meet his eyes and when I finally do, I smile at him but he looks back down, ignoring me. I lower my gaze too, staring at my feet by what happened, trying not to feel sorry for myself. He shouldn't even be nice to me, he is here for your sister for God's sake I curse in my head.

The priest walks back on the stage when the cameraman starts counting as always, looking very pleased that he can do these interviews. All I can wonder about is were Antonio, our actual journalist, is during this moment.

'Good morning, Ethura!' He starts and all of us clap, I'm not even sure why. I knew it was important to look interested during these interviews, so I would try my best.

'Today is another day we have all been waiting for during the Selection, we are getting to know every candidate personally. I hope you are ready young men, a lot depends on this', the priest jokes, but by the look on Theodore's face I can see he only panics.

'Let us start with our youngest candidate, Cameron Hunter Roman', the priest says and takes place in one of the seats on the middle of the tribune. Cameron walks towards him, taking the other seat after shaking his hand firmly. His smile soft as usual.