༒ Thirty-six ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

Before I go downstairs to the Rose Garden, I write a short note for Levi to make sure he brings my arrow and bow. My cape coat would be too obvious for the cameras to follow me, which is why I decide to wear a simple rose coloured dress with long sleeves. They called it a casual dress in the village. They had no idea how casual I could actually be but unfortunately I couldn't show it.

My owl flies out of the window, bringing my letter to Levi, when I turn around to my mirror and get a look of myself. Now that the Selection had started I finally realised how important it was for us, as Royalty, to give a good impression. But still I couldn't hide my hate for dresses and crowns, it wasn't comfortable at all.

On my way to the stairs, different guards greet me, bowing as usual when I smile back at them. For the first time in weeks it feel like I can breathe again. Valentina has given me a place for my own, somewhere I have freedom, shadowed by the high trees. No camera would be able to see me, it is perfect.

Only after a few minutes of waiting, Levi enters the Rose Garden, completely out of breath when he closes the fence behind him. His eyes saying more than words could.

'Valentina made sure it is safe here', I say immediately when he makes me feel guilty. He nods a little, not exactly pleasant. 'Rosa, I don't want to bring you in trouble', he notices when he hands me my bow and my leather bag.

'You won't', I promise before he turns around again, ready to leave me.

'You're in a hurry?'

'We have to practise our fighting skills again, some of the new soldiers aren't as good as they should be', he raises an eyebrow at me while unlocking the fence.

'You mean Cameron?' I ask curious. He turns around, laughing at me while shaking his head.

'No, he is a natural. Theodore Sinclair on the other hand', he sighs.

'Give him a chance, I'm sure Theodore is only nervous', I remark when I think back of the way he's trying so hard to give a good impression.

'O, I'm sure that after a training with August he'll be better', Levi says jokingly and I laugh with him. August was known for being too harsh on newcomers, he would let them work harder than anyone ever should. I feel sorry for Theodore in a second.

'When are you going to the village for stock? I heard you asked Jade', I notice smiling, his cheeks turning red immediately.

'Probably next week', he answers calm. 'And stop making fun of me Rosa', he warns me before he bows, only to annoy me, and closes the fence.

I laugh at myself, glad I could still make fun by mocking Levi a little. I stare at my bow, not quite sure why the universe gave me this chance again. I have been so afraid that Val would take away all my freedom, only to be gifted by her afterwards. Maybe we are building a relationship for the first time in years, even though she wanted distance during the Selection, I could see she needed some distraction.

I open my leather bag to take the arrows, carefully holding one next to my bow, my hands overtaking my mind. They knew what they had to do. Behind the low wall, I stand with one eye pinched, searching for a possible prey.

The waterfall in front of me, shines in the light of the afternoon sun. It is too bad this little island in front of us is used to hunt, they could make a beautiful place out of it. I could live there my whole life, I realise when I squeeze my hand tighter around my bow, seeing a deer in the distance jumping of rocks.

Stand still, I beg.

I pull my arm back, trying to point the arrow in the right place. I lose it immediately when the doors behind me open, not even giving me a chance to look if my shot was good. I turn around quickly, my bow behind my back when I look over at my guest. Ezra walks towards me over the small gravel path, a sarcastic look on his face. Only two meters in front of me he holds still, looking over me as usual.

I had to look up to get a proper glance of him, again he was too tall, I wasn't short. The twinkle in his eyes tells me enough when he walks around me to the stone wall.

'I have to admit princess', he starts pointing his hands at me. 'This is a pleasant view'. I roll my eyes, holding my bow in one hand, trying not to care about him.

'A warrior princess', he starts mocking me again when I lay it down on the wall, trying to ease my anger. 'I have to say, it fits the picture that the citizens have of you. They would go wild if they knew all the details about your little life'.

'Well, too bad there aren't any cameras in this garden', I remark, trying to feel strong again. 'And who do you think you owe that?' He asks, narrowing his eyes right at mine.

'Valentina told me that ...' I start but he laughs at me either way.

'You believe your sister came up with this idea herself?' He asks sarcastic. I don't know what to answer, feeling like I'm being trapped again.

'I thought you were missing something when I arrived at the castle, you weren't as confident as during the news announcements. First, I thought that maybe that was the way you are, you know? Confident on camera but weak in reality ...'.

'I'm not weak', I hiss at him only to make him laugh harder.

'Believe me Princess, I figured that. Anyhow, I talked to your sister about her family and she told me about your annoying habit to always break the rules. That she had caught you fighting with the soldiers, or that you would try to hunt deer', he nods at the island in front of me, panic raising up again. He wasn't supposed to know these things, if this would come out my father would lock me in my bedroom.

'I convinced her to give you your own space, without cameras so you could be that annoying self again. You owe me', he explains.

'Are you trying to bribe me?' I ask stunned.

'A future King needs to win the hearts, doesn't he?' Ezra turns around, walking to the entrance again.

'And how will you do that with this arrogant attitude?' I ask curious. He stops walking for a second, his shoulder shaking out of enjoyment. 'In the future there will come a time you have to describe me at the citizens. I rather have a good description of myself than I negative one', he says with his back to me before walking further and with one last look at me, closes the doors.

It's that moment I feel myself shaking, he wants me to talk good about him in order to keep my secret? He is such a fool. And still I have no choice. If father would figure out I was doing this during the Selection he wouldn't forgive me, not even to mention what would happen if our citizens knew about it.

I bow to take another arrow out of my bag without thinking, laying it next to my bow, tightening the tension. You are mine, I think when I look at another deer in the distance, and shoot.

Only a few seconds later the animal falls on his side, his chest not moving anymore. I hold a hand before my mouth quickly, realising that I offered a life.

'Quick and without thinking', I mumble to myself, still stunned. The fence opens again after a few minutes, Levi's head appearing on the side when I stare with wide open eyes at him.

'I forgot that ... Are you feeling good?' He asks concerned, walking over to me. I look back at the dead animal on the island, his gaze following mine.

'Send some soldiers towards the hunting field', I order him. 'We have dinner', I whisper.