༒ Seventeen ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

I soon enough found out that Jade didn't know anything more about the mythical island than I did. Which led us to a dead end. The second she walked in the next morning, I immediately send her out to search the study room of Madame Orsini, but she came back with empty hands, her face disappointed.

'Auntie was up early to furnish the room', she sighs while taking my hairbrush from me and combing my hair herself.

'It's like she knows we are up to something, she has more important tasks the day of the announcement'.

I stay quiet when she keeps on babbling, feeling my stomach hurt when I realise that today our lives would change completely. One of those three names will become King of Ethura, and I should listen to him, follow his rules. My freedom would be taken away completely, and there was nothing I could possibly do about it.

I had to accept that my kingdom would be ruled by a complete stranger, even though he is a citizen of Ethura, he is still an outsider.

'Which dress will you wear? It is going to be broadcasted live and you are quite popular with the people ...'

'What?' I interrupt her, staring in the reflection of the mirror. 'You are quite popular?' She repeats unsure ignoring the look on my face.

'I was in the newspaper once', I answer calm.

'Have you read that article?' The smile on her face tells me something juicy must be in it but I hadn't read the newspaper, why would I? I sigh when she starts to braid my hair and puts it carefully in a side bun.

'The citizens were glad to see a princess in normal clothes', she restarts the conversation I wanted to ignore. 'You remind them of your mother', she adds quickly. I stare at myself, not even blinking. That explains so much.

'Now I understand why I haven't seen Valentina in days', I frown a little, feeling bad for something I shouldn't. My sister is the crown princess, and I didn't want to stay in the way of that.

'According to my auntie, your father wasn't pleased about that article either. He loved the way you were described but it had nothing to do with the fact that Valentina will be upcoming Queen. It's like her citizens are narrowing her down', Jade attaches the dot with one last pin and let me get up to take a look of my dress.

'I didn't want this to happen. This is the reason I try to stay in the shadow', I say more to myself than to her but get an understanding gaze anyway.

'I have two dresses', she changes the subject in excitement before opening my closet. One for one she takes a dress out of it and holds it up next to her.

One dress fully red with a heart-shaped top, very classy, also simple. The other one, a soft pink colour with a deep plunging neckline, flower details on the sides of the top. The long sleeves would fall elegant around my arms. I stare at both options, hating to make decisions.

'Give me the red one', I say after a while but Jade keeps staring at me, pursing her lips together to hide a smile.

'I would really appreciate it if you tried the other one', a grimace appears on her face when handing me the soft pink coloured dress and I shake my head a little.

'Why give me an option if you already have chosen?' I ask sarcastically.

'Well, it's a special event and even though how much I love the colour red on you, I think this one is perfect', she assures me before I walk over to my bathroom to change my clothes.

I'm sure father wouldn't be happy if I showed up in normal pants, he didn't even know I had them. Because why would 'a girl like me' wear something that normal citizens could effort? I hated to think about that, but it was what everyone seemed to believe.