༒ Fifty-seven ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

'The Royal Swords have a powerful source in their handles, impossible for sorcerers to reach them. Once you bring the sword of Ethura and the sword of Syrilia together, you are invincible', Madame Orsini explains during another class. I sit in the back as usual, this time joined by Elliott who had been hiding in his room the last few days. He had been scared, he told me when I visited him.

Luckily he didn't blame me for the riots, he thought the citizens were stupid. Yet, there were still enough citizens who hated me. They made banners with my name on it, setting it on fire and all of this because they were afraid of a war. The fact that Queen Emersyn hadn't spoken up since the night of the gala, terrified them even more.

'Why are Ethura and Syrilia the only Kingdoms with a Royal Sword?' My brother asks, ignoring the looks he get from the candidates.

'Well, Elliott. The Royal Swords were in possession of our founders, the two brothers named Isaiah and Aurelius. Their great-grandfather had made them himself to make sure that the source in it would remain after his dead. You could say he literally put a piece of his soul in the swords, especially because it was his own power', Madame Orsini explains.

Elliott looks back at his book, thinking of something else when he puts his finger in the air again, but she didn't see it and dismissed us immediately when it was ten o'clock. Lowering his finger down slowly, Elliott looks at me confused before packing his stuff and leaves the room with the other candidates.

Madame Orsini wasn't her usual self, and I thought she might be afraid of a war too. After all she had gone through a lot in her life. First, saving Jade from her sister who was accused false and then the whole escape out of Syrilia must not have been pleasant either. Not to mention the threats they got.

I leave immediately after them, closing the door behind me when I see Cameron leaning against the wall, his hands behind his back.

'I was afraid you wouldn't come outside', he says when I walk past him, trying to ignore the feeling in my stomach. His deep voice made me shiver for a second and I couldn't but think back at the moment he had held my hand in his.

'Why wouldn't I?' I ask curious when he walks next to me.

'I didn't want to scare you last night', he says a little softer when we walk past the guards who open the double doors for us. 'You were right, I should focus on your sister. But I can't ignore the feeling that I have when you are around'. I feel heat raising up my cheeks when he says that and turn to him in a rush.

'You can't say those things', I hiss at him before I even realise it. He looks down at the carpet, disappointment over his whole face when he tries to hide it.

'I have read the contract, Rosa. I know what they can do to me if I would betray your sister'.

'Yes, they'll kill you', I answer harsh before turning around and walk over to the stairs, not wanting to have this conversation.

'I don't know what I feel', he says from behind me. I look at him over my shoulder, his eyes more honest than before.

'My priority right now is to protect the Kingdom of Ethura. The riots are getting worse every day and mysteriously enemies appear in the village', he walks up a few stairs so our heads are at the same height, his eyes only inches away from me. 'If there is a war I'll have to fight and it is my pleasure to do it. Now that we have a little freedom I would enjoy to spend time with someone who thinks the same as I do'.

He gets his hand from behind his back, showing me a little book out of the library. 'Have you ever read this?' Cameron asks.

'No, but ...'

'Read it, please. You won't regret it', he assures me. After doubting for a while I take it and turn around to walk over to my room. At least he doesn't follow me.

Once I have arrived in my room I see a few dresses lay on my bed, telling me that Jade is so stressed she has to do something in her free time. Without thinking I drop the book on the side of my desk, a piece of parchment falling out of it after it falls on the ground. I stare at it for a moment, hoping that all of this is a stupid coincidence.

I couldn't fool myself, Cameron could say what he wanted but he wasn't much of an actor. I bow to take the piece of paper, opening it slowly when I see his neatly handwriting all over it. Those stupid butterflies appearing in my stomach again.

Dear Rosalia

I hope you decided to give this book at chance after all, otherwise you wouldn't read this paper. To be honest, this is a good book, I didn't lie about that, but I feel we have much more to talk about than books and a mysterious island.

Believe me if I say I wouldn't write this letter if I wasn't one hundred percent sure Valentina doesn't want me to be her prince. There is a reason I am here in this castle and I trust you enough to write a part of the truth down.

I never wanted to become a King, I always wanted to join the army. I think we should talk about this in person. After all, the citizens expect you to hang out with the candidates. I'll be in the Rose Garden, tomorrow after dinner. Bring your arrow and bow. August told me you are a pretty good hunter.

I don't want you to think of this as a date, I wouldn't dare to betray your sister now that the Selection still hasn't found its end. I only want a chance to get to know a girl better, who according me, has a lot of potential.

If you won't be there tomorrow, I know enough and I won't ever blame you. Your feelings are yours, and I won't force myself to change them.

Cameron Roman

I read the letter over and over again, not sure what to do next. Tomorrow after dinner, I remind myself before I walk over to my stove and thrown the paper in it, watching it burn until the evidence is gone. He could say what he want, but he made his intentions pretty clear, and I wasn't sure how to respond. Never had a boy wrote me a letter, never in my life did I want a secret lover.

I could never have imagined that this would happen during the Selection. That one of the candidates was going to steal my heart with only one look. A tear rolls down my cheek when I watch the fire destroy his letter, thinking back of the first moment I had seen him. He had me with that first look, and I always tried to deny it. If someone would find out about his feelings, they would hung him. That were the rules.

It seemed like he only wanted to give me a harder time, beside the riots and a possible war he also had to express his feelings. I never wanted to become dependent on someone, especially not a young man. I hated myself for it.

I hated myself for the fact that the only thing I could think about was him. I wasn't the girl I used to be half a year ago. Only because of a young man. Who was I fooling? The only thing I could hope for was that Valentina wouldn't choose him to be her King, otherwise there would be more broken hearts than anyone could imagine.