༒ Sixty-one ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

When I wake up a soft light shines in the room, telling me that it is already morning. Confused I take the blanket of me, laying it on Elliott who is still sleeping. Next to the couch, a small girl looks a little concerned at me when I first glance at her.

'Estelle?' I ask confused when I realise everyone is gone.

'Princess Rosalia', she bows polite, her cheeks turning red. It's like I'm disorientated at first, panic raising up when I remember the fire of last night. I turn around quickly to look at the village, but in the daylight it was hard to tell if the fire was still as big.

'Where is Jade?' I ask concerned and get up when Elliott opens his eyes.

'Jade has to help in the Great Hall with the other maids. They send me here to watch over you', her voice cracks sometimes because of the nerves. I nod a little when I walk towards the stairs, not able to remember when I had fallen asleep. Elliott follows me quickly, and so does Estelle when we both run down the stairs.

'What is going on?' Elliott whispers when staff run past us in a hurry.

'I'm not sure', I whisper back. I had been sleeping in my dress from last night, my hair still loose. Once we arrive in the Great Hall, people run around with swords, others with weights to block the windows and doors. The once bright hall had changed in a total nightmare, mud all over the ground, darker than usual. Kitchen staff bring the food downstairs to the dungeons. I didn't recognize anyone, I couldn't even find my own family.

Journalists were filming and reporting the last events with the dramatic scene of chaos in the background. Others were talking in a hurry to each other, telling the most important gossip. I walk in the crowd of people, holding my dress when others almost run over it. No one bows this time and I can feel the tension in the air. I almost wish I would just be a princess right now, a girl without any troubles. I knew that this couldn't change, I had made a mess.

'Princess Rosalia', Antonio grabs me by my shoulder when I run past him, his smile fading a little when I look shocked at him.

'Antonio, long time no see', I say quickly to be polite. He nods a little, still the usual twinkle in his eyes when he gestures for a cameraman to join us. I look confused from him to the other man, Elliott following my gaze.

'I was wondering if you may want to do an interview', he suggest, almost pushing the mike in my face. My smile disappears in a second and with disbelief I look at him.

'Why? Because it is my fault?', I hiss at him and turn around in a rush, leaving him stunned. Elliott takes my arm when he follows me, trying to calm my nerves but I can't change the madness I am feeling right now. Not towards Antonio but towards myself. I was the only one who had blame in this situation. The riots had started because of me, I had to be this stupid to challenge the Queen of Syrilia and again we would get a war. Not to mention that my mother had died in the last one.

After a few minutes of wandering around I get a glance of Jade, who runs through the crowd to another girl, reporting the things that were going on. With Elliott by my side I run over to her, her face lighting up when she sees me.

'Rosa!', she breaths before hugging me.

'Where is everyone? Where is my father?' I ask confused when I can't see him in the Great Hall.

'The King and princess Valentina are in his office, they are trying to get contact with Syrilia but it doesn't work. The phone they use for emergencies is disconnected. According to my auntie, your father has asked other Kingdoms to help us but owls aren't that fast', she rattles on and on. I look around when a whole crowd of guards come near us and run in the direction of the main hall.

'They are sending more soldiers', I notice silent. Jade nods concerned.

'What about the candidates?' I realise after a moment. She sighs deep, all the light dimming in her eyes.

'Ezra is helping with the security but reluctantly', she nods over to another big window where Ezra leans against the wall, watching the others do their work. I shake my head in disbelief. He could impossibly become a good king.

'Speaking of the others, Cameron and Theodore are headed to the village', she says softer.

'What?'

'I'm sorry Rosa. Cameron told me not to wake you. He knew you wouldn't let him go without you.' All the colour disappears from my face when I think back of last night. It had been perfect and now I was standing here, panicked for the life of a boy I might love.

'Rosa, I don't know what is going on with you and Cameron, but it could be his death', Jade reminds me when I stare at nothing.

'This war could be his death!' I yell desperate. Elliott shrinks a little next to me and I remember how afraid he must be.

'Jade!' Madame Orsini gestures that she should come immediately and I follow her, wanting to know more about this situation.

'What is going on in the village?' I ask before she can say a thing. She holds up her hand, focusing on Jade first when I am losing my patience.

'Jade you help Carry with collecting the young children, included you Elliott'. My brother looks up at me, confusion in his eyes when I nod he has to listen.

'The children need to be safe in the dungeons must this war expend itself. And as for the village... may we pray on our founder that our soldiers survive', she whispers, looking me right in the eyes. Madame Orsini turns around, when Jade gestures that Elliott should follow. He takes my arm instead, taking me to a less crowded place.

'Be careful', he whispers, his voice a little hoarse.

'What do you mean?'

'I mean, be careful when you search for him'. I stare at my little brother, wondering if mind reading was one of his powers but doubt that. I nod a little startled before he hugs me tight and follows Jade to the other children. I stand like that for a moment, not sure if he had meant what I thought he did.

'Fire!' Someone yells.

I turn my head towards the direction of the sound, seeing all man gathering around by the window. I run over to them, pushing them aside until I stand in the front, joined by no one more than Ezra. A large fire had started in the village again, this time closer to our castle. I lay my head against the glass, my whole body shaking out of anger when I turn around in a rush and run towards the corridors. Once I run up the stairs, a familiar voice stops me from going any further.

'What are you planning on?', Ezra's mocking face wasn't as mocking as usual, I could almost see fear in his eyes.

'More than you will ever do for this Kingdom!' I hiss and run up a few stairs, only to be stopped when he grabs my arm.

'My aunt isn't starting a war if that is what you must think. This is much more dangerous and if you are joining them you are insane!' He yells right in my face, his blue eyes full of anger.

'And you are a coward', I rustle before pushing him back and with one last look I run up another stair, about to do the most idiotic thing in my life.