༒ Fifty-nine ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

After taking a deep breath, I look at both sides of the corridor to make sure I am the only one here. I open the double doors in front of me, leaving the mess behind to walk in my most perfect dream. It had been a long time since I'd been in this garden. The last time Ezra had seen me hunting and had been mocking me as usual. At this point, I couldn't care less.

The sun was going under slowly, but we still had enough time to hunt with a proper view. When I walk over the small path, flowers on the sight light up, spreading the typical sense of roses when I arrive at the low wall. Taking my arrows and bow from my back and lay them on the ground.

Cameron was nowhere to be seen yet, but at least my nerves were fading away by the view of the waterfall. It was interesting how the right place could make me feel calm in only a few seconds. Behind me I hear some footsteps and when I turn around, I see Cameron standing under a few trees, in his hands some flowers. My nerves raise up again when I realise how wrong this is.

'You can't be that obvious', I warn him quickly when I look around in panic. It was true what Jade had said, by doing this I was risking his life. I cannot be the cause of his death. He walks over to me, grimacing a little when he puts one of the flowers behind my ear.

'There are no cameras here, Rosalia', he whispers, his voice giving me chills all over my body when he says my name like that. We stand closer than ever before, almost a little uncomfortable if it would have been with someone else. This felt good, it felt right.

'I'm glad you came', he adds and walks past me to stand on the side of the wall also.

'I still don't understand why you would risk your life', I admit, not quite able to look him in the eyes.

'Some things are worth risking your life for. I know it is clever to say, but that doesn't make it less true'. I stare in front of me, looking over the cliff when his deep voice brings me to another world as usual.

'Why did you write me all those letters after the gala?' I ask after a while and catch his gaze immediately, his eyes twinkling a little in the sunset.

'I found out who the honest princess was', Cameron says soft and I turn my head again, not understanding this boy.

'That doesn't make sense, you came here to become King of Ethura, husband of my sister'. He shakes his head in disagreement, sadness appearing on his face when he goes through his hair with one hand.

'There is something I haven't told anyone about', he starts unsure. I turn to face him, all of a sudden interested that he was about to admit a lie. No one was perfect after all, in some way that disappointed me a little.

'My parents forced me to register for the Selection. It wasn't my choice', he admits after a while.

'O'.

'I know how that sounds. They wanted me to do it to help my family, we don't have the greatest life in the South. I would have come to this castle eventually, I've always wanted to be a part of the army. I wanted to protect my island'.

I don't answer him, thinking everything through with this new information. He had never been in love with my sister, which was a bit of a relieve but still that didn't mean Val wasn't feeling something. This event had been going on for six months now and I was wondering how long it would take for her to make a choice.

'Maybe if I wasn't in this position I could tell the right princess I fell in love with her. Not only by her bravery but also by the way she tells people what she is thinking, the way she searches for danger to save others', Cameron walks closer to me and I don't have the strength to stop him. I hated not understanding my feelings, and those eyes, those stupid eyes only made it worse.