༒ Twenty-two༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

I walk through my room, pacing as I always do when I'm nervous. Tomorrow the candidates would arrive in the castle. Still no one was ready for it. I could feel the tense atmosphere in the corridors, during dinner and even in my own bedroom. Our lives would change tomorrow, we didn't have a choice. It would all depend on Valentina if that change would be positive or negative, which is probably why I couldn't get control over my nerves.

Jade was organizing my wardrobe, making sure that every old dress got replaced by a new one she had made. I never understood where she found the time to work on them, but she did and she was my hero for it.

'Maybe we could throw away these?' She says, holding up a stack of my pants. I shake my head in disagreement which makes her sigh. I didn't have to wear a dress when I was alone, neither was I now.

'What about these sneakers?', she tries again, a vague smile appearing on her face.

'Keep them', I answer more harsh than I wanted to. I walk to my window, the one that stood open last night, and check if something is wrong with the handle. But everything just seems fine. A flash from downstairs shines in my eyes and a few seconds later I see a photographer running away.

'Horrible!' I yell, closing my curtains harder than I was planning on. Jade stops folding my clothes immediately and looks concerned when I take place in my leather seat. The Selection hadn't even started yet and I already couldn't handle it.

'Can I do something?' She asks quiet, standing up to walk over to me. I look up at the ceiling, feeling more annoyed than I have ever been.

'How is it possible my sister wants a Selection? Out of all the options she wants a Selection?' I almost scream. Jade wants to say something but I interrupt her, holding up my hand.

'And not even to mention that she thinks I want her throne. And what about my father who asked me to get rid of all the register forms send from Syrilia? But still Ezra Ryan Carter was good enough for him, only because he is possible Royalty', I keep quiet to catch my breath, closing my eyes while leaning on my hands. I have a headache again.

'Maybe you should rest some more, you look tired', she notices.

'I'm not tired'. Jade keeps quiet when I stand up and take a look at my bookshelf, nothing interesting in there. 'I'm not even sure if I want to meet Ezra, only the way he described himself was horrible', I mumble to myself.

'He could be a good person, descent does not say much about someone'.

'He is from Syrilia', I remind her. Everything goes silent after I hear her breathe a little offended. I close my eyes in regret and turn to her slowly.

'Jade, I didn't mean ...'

'I'm from Syrilia too, remember? My auntie did everything to get us out of that horrible place. Not everyone who lives there is bad Rosalia', she hisses at me.

'I'm sorry', I walk towards her but she turns away to the door.

'I have to help the other maids with cleaning the Great Hall. Call me if you need something', she says without looking at me, leaving me behind in my mess.