༒ Thirty-three ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

My life in the castle became more boring since the cameras seemed to be everywhere, filming every little detail. I had to make sure to wear a dress at all times, I couldn't fight, I couldn't hunt, it was horrible. Journalists asked me to do many interviews. I sometimes thought they mistook me with my sister, but apparently Elliott had the same problem, although most of the times he denied the interviews.

I could see this event didn't bring him much joy either, which is why I asked him to have lunch with me in our biggest garden, separated from the others of the castle. The Alstromeria garden, named after our mother's favourite flower and also created for her.

The large garden was divided into four parts, one with a fountain and the other with a statue of our grandmother Indira who had ruled Ethura as a true Queen. In the left corner a swing was surrounded with the most beautiful flowers and next to that stood a garden table with four chairs, perfect to read a book or to look at the view over the cliff. This had to be the most romantic place on earth. Hearing the sound of the waterfall on the background, the deer jumping around in the distance. And again I couldn't hunt, I remind myself.

'Cameras follow me everywhere', Elliott complains while laying down his astronomy book. I nod, holding my hand in front of my mouth while I chew on the meal our chef has made.

'I only did one interview and now Ethura describes me as a 'modest prince who loves to learn new things'', he sighs taking his fork.

'Isn't that who you are?' I ask unsure. He looks up at me, his light brown eyes observing mine. 'Of course, but not everyone has to know that. I enjoy my privacy', he explains and I couldn't agree more.

'Have you talked with our sister after the candidates arrived?' I ask curious. He shakes his head immediately as if I asked a stupid question. 'I never talk to her, mostly I try to hide when I see her', he admits softer.

'Why?'

'She never showed interest in me, it has always been about that stupid throne. The moments we used to talk she made clear that I would never have a chance to become King because I was the third child', he mumbles.

'I thought she only did that to me', I answer, smiling a little relieved but clearly it hurts him.

'I don't know what I did wrong to make her mad at me', he explains, sighing deep after that confession.

'You didn't do anything wrong. Valentina only wants to become Queen, I think that is her main goal. I'm sure that after the Selection everything will be better', I try to convince him but he doesn't care much. 'She had to be there from the beginning, I don't want a sister that only talks when she needs me'.

'We never got a chance to really get to know her, did we?' I ask, staring at my little brother. He nods in agreement before another person walks into the garden, asking for our attention.

'I'm sorry to bother you princess Rosalia, prince Elliott. I was wondering if I could take a seat for a moment?' Elliott looks up at one of the advisers of my father, probably not knowing who he is.

'Of course, Sir John', I say and point at a seat next to Elliott who doesn't look pleased at me.

'I wanted to tell you that I believe you made a great move by inviting the Royalty to the gala ball. Also the fundraiser was clever. You should think of joining us more, I'm sure you have a lot more to offer, princess', he says, looking me right in the eyes as a typical adviser.

'Thank you, sir John. But I'm not sure if my presence is needed', I quickly say, not wanting to put Valentina in the shadow.

'I can assure you that I've never seen the organisation this excited about an upcoming event', he raises an eyebrow. 'Do you have any more ideas?'

'I believe you have to ask my sister', I try again. Elliott follows our conversation quietly as usual, his smart head interpreting every word.

'I may not be in the right position to say this, but princess Valentina could learn something from your thinking', he adds softer. I shake my head immediately. 'Valentina has great ideas herself, believe me'.

'She never speaks up. It's not a shame to give an upcoming Queen some advice, princess. If she wants to become better, she'll take it with both hands', he says before an owl flies on our table, holding a piece of parchment in its beak.

'I'll have to go', he mumbles while checking the piece of paper. 'I have an assignment from the King', he explains before standing up an turning around.

'Think about it, princess Rosalia', he says before disappearing around the corner, leaving me alone again with my brother. Why couldn't this stop? Why did it seem like no one saw potential in my sister? Elliott has a vague smile on his face, staring at his food.

'What is going on?' I ask.

'She'll never take advice from you', he notices, lifting his shoulders. Apparently that fact made him laugh, I thought it was trouble.