༒ Sixteen ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

'Tomorrow the candidates will be announced', Jade reminds me once I'm back in my room. I stare out of my window, trying to find potential photographers. I hated how invisible they could be. But as I had expected there was no one to be seen.

'Aren't you nervous?' She asks when I don't answer.

'I'm not the one who hosts a Selection', I remind her. She hangs up another three dresses in my closet I have never seen before.

'You should be, one of those man will be our King sooner or later'. By the look in her eyes I can tell she's more nervous about this situation than I am, which makes me laugh.

She closes my closet and walks back to clean my jewellery table. It was sad to see my best friend work this hard for me, I once made the mistake to ask my father if he couldn't pay her just to live her, which now I realise doesn't make sense. But who cares? I was thirteen back then.

'I'll clean that', I say, taking my necklaces and rings. Jade freezes immediately as if I shame her. 'This is my work', she reminds me cold.

'I just thought ...'

'I get paid for this, Rosa. Let me clean this up', she mumbles and takes the jewellery out of my hands. I let her take it, feeling a little startled. We keep quiet for a moment, until the sun goes under and all that we can see are the stars at the dark sky.

'You and Levi hang out again?' She asks to break the silence. I turn around to face her, not able to read the expression on her face. 'Father thinks he's the most trustable soldier to be around me. I mean apart from Uncle August', I answer calm trying to see a glance of emotion.

'I miss him', she whispers and I can see tears in her eyes. She quickly turns around, trying to hide it but it was too late. I walk over to her, forcing her to look me in the eyes.

'I didn't know you liked him', I say concerned but she shakes her head in defend. 'No ... no I don't', Jade tries to convince herself instead of me.

'Jade, it's totally fine to be in love with him', I remark while trying to calm her down. 'I thought you liked him', she whispers finally, the tears pouring out of her eyes. I laugh a little at that. What was love? I don't think I have ever been through something like that.

'I'm not in love with Levi', I say before she falls in my arms. I gently rub over her back while she calms down, wiping her eyes with her hand.

'I'm sorry, I didn't want to be jealous. It has all been too much. When I moved here I came from Syrilia, no one treated me with respect except for you and him', she apologizes.

I smile at her, feeling happy about the honesty between us. 'Sometimes jealousy is a good thing'. We sit in silence for a moment, realising what just had happened. Jade was in love with Levi, and I couldn't but wish that Levi felt the same way. They would be perfect for each other.

'Jade', I whisper when we both lay down in my bed and are calm again. She mumbles something I can't understand and I continue.

'I have to find something out and I may need your help by that'. She turns her head to me in confusion and I look at her expectant.

'How much do you know about Ivory?'