༒ Thirty-four ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

Later that evening I sit outside, thinking about the proposal of Sir John. I already was a part of the organisation for events, but that didn't mean I had more ideas. The main thought was that the Queen of Syrilia would join us, so I could see if she had been the reason for our dragon to act this weird. Maybe she was the woman in that vision, I realise after a moment of thinking.

The swing in my mother's garden has the most spectacular view around the whole castle, especially when the sun goes down. At the side of the cliff, two figures appear, walking arm in arm, the boy holding a blanket in his left arm. I could see by the shape of his body it was Cameron, walking next to my sister. I had never seen Valentina laugh like this, never seen her this happy.

I lean my head against one rope of the swing, trying to understand how this made me feel. I didn't feel angry, I was glad to see her delighted. Cameron lays the blanket on the side of the grass, offering Valentina a hand to sit down. Their backs to me. They watch the sunset, together, shoulder to shoulder.

Here I sit, alone on a swing, looking at the only boy I ever felt completely save with. I had to ignore whatever I was feeling, it didn't mean anything good. Only the way he looks at her, as if any second he could kiss her. I feel a tear running down my cheek, quickly wiping it off. Valentina had to spend time with the young men, how else would she find her King?

Cameron softly puts a lock of Val's hair behind her ear, to get a better look at her. She's smiling at him like I've never seen before. It reminds me a little of the time my mother and father used to spend together. Clearly Cameron feels safer talking to her than to me. It's like he won't shut up.

Tears fill my eyes again when I stare at my sister, hoping that she has found the one person in her life she would love. On the other hand I'm crying for myself, knowing that Cameron and I couldn't spend time together. I've never met anyone like him, anyone who had seen me exactly the way I was. After all, that one moment on the roof had been the moment I realised how much I liked to be with him. But I couldn't.

Footsteps approach me when I turn around and see Levi appearing from behind the water fountain, looking a little concerned. I try to hide the pain and smile at him as usual, him smiling back softly.

'You forgot this one after dinner', he notices, pointing my book to me. I take it and stare at it for a while, trying to gather my thoughts.

'May I?' he asks when he walks to the other side of the swing, taking place next to me. His warmth against my arm. The two people in front of us immediately catch his attention, and he turns his head back to me.

'It's good your sister found someone she likes', he remarks trying to read my face. I nod a little, looking at the wind blowing through Cameron's hair when he keeps on talking.

'I've never seen you like this, Rosa', Levi admits while putting an arm around me. I let him do it without thinking, leaning against his chest with my head. I've never been this vulnerable before.

'I've never felt like this', I admit.

'I know', he whispers a little sad. I can hear by his voice that he wants to hear something different, but I can't change my feelings. I look up at him, staring in his green eyes. But they're different from Cameron's.

'I'm sorry', I whisper.

'I don't blame you. You can't chance your feelings'. I keep quiet after that, considering if I had to tell him there was another girl that liked him, trying to do the good. But it would only hurt Jade if I told him this, it wasn't up to me.

'All I can do is hope that she doesn't change him', I say soft, thinking of Cameron with the attitude of Ezra. I would hate it.

'There are three young man, Rosa. Maybe he isn't the one', he answers holding me a little closer. 'Maybe', I agree. The sun is almost down when I get cold. Levi offers me his jacket but I don't accept it. I just have to go inside, sleep a little and be my old self. I don't have time for this, it would only break my heart.

'You want to hear something funny?' Levi tries again, after a while of staring at the sunset.

'Anytime'.

'Well, Cameron and Theodore both signed up to join the army to protect our castle. But Ezra didn't. He told your father that he would protect your family from the inside if a war would start. Apparently he believes that he doesn't need training for that', he says laughing. 'And my father believes that?' I ask in disbelief.

'Yes. Your father is very fond of Ezra Ryan Carter', Levi says sarcastic.

'Unbelievable', I mumble but it does help to cheer me up. It is good to know that I have friends who will be there for me no matter what. Even if it hurts their own feelings.

'Levi', I sigh, getting his attention immediately. 'There is another girl in the castle who likes you. Maybe you should rely on that', I say unsure. He nods a little, smiling at the ground. 'Jade, you mean?' I open my mouth slightly, not sure what to answer which only makes him laugh more.

'I had figured out', he admits which makes me feel better. 'Jade is amazing', he remarks and I feel hope again, hope that my best friend will share her life with her soulmate. 'Good', I assure him when we both stand up to walk back to the castle. Leaving the two other lovebirds behind.

Sleep was everything I needed now. Cameron Roman wasn't my problem. I couldn't even fool myself.