༒ Three ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

'My father always makes sure I get what I deserve'.

Valentina's lilting voice fills her bedroom while she turns around in one of her new dresses, admiring herself in the large mirror against her wall. She knew she was beautiful, whole Ethura knew that. And if you didn't know, she would make sure you did.

I glance up from the history book and watch her carefully. It's almost scary how much she looks like our mother when she had her age. Valentina turns around and the bottom of her dress follows her effortless. The red colour matching her light skin tone.

Dresses were nothing for me, and still I was wearing one, only to comfort my father. 'We need to find the perfect tiara', Valentina gasps when she thinks of that and her maid nods enthusiastically.

'You look perfect, my highness', Olivia grins at her but the only thing Valentina catches is her own smile in the mirror.

The admiration Olivia showed for her crown princess was almost unbelievable. My maid, as they call it, had been my best friend since we were little. She didn't call me highness, I wouldn't even except that. But again, two different worlds for the sisters Martinez. I lay the book down and walk over to my sister, our reflections in the mirror staring at each other.

'A tiara with little diamonds in the colour of your dress would look great, Val', I say as positive as I can. She turns to face me and shakes her head a little, her eyes tell me enough. She doesn't buy my act. 'Rosa, I'm not sure why you decided to watch my fitting, but I'm not stupid. Crowns and dresses, it's not for you'. She winks and turns around in her glory.

Since our mother had died, we hadn't talked much. I used to look up at the girl standing next to me, I used to admire her too. But something has changed about her over the years, or maybe we all had changed a little, I wasn't sure. Olivia fastens some pins to give the dress more shape, her short dark hair behind her ears so she could stay focused.

I walk to the big window of Val's room and stare out of it. The little houses in the distance behind the walls of the castle, our village, that is what we needed to protect. They looked like nothing more than little dots. Those people count on my father, and in a few moments they would count on my sister who only likes to look at herself.

I roll my eyes at that thought and look down to our Rose garden. From Valentina's bedroom, you could only see part of it because of the Cherry trees that began to blossom.

'It's wonderful, isn't it?', Val's soft voice wakes me up from my thoughts when she joins me, her eyes following the sky line. 'I will make this the greatest kingdom in history', she promises but something in her voice sounds like anger.

'What are your plans? I mean, once you are Queen', I ask when she walks away from me. With a sly smile she turns around, Olivia doing the exact same thing from behind her. It's clear her maid knows more than I do. 'You will see, Rosalia', she lifts her shoulders a little.

'Have you at least talked to father about it?'

'Your curiosity is adorable. Why don't you make sure that you act like a princess, while I make my way to the throne', she says bitter. The hatred audible. This is what I had been afraid of most of my life. I wasn't enough for my father and now my sister was letting me down also.

I walk over to her desk to take the history book, both their eyes following me. 'If you won't talk to me, I can't help you', I say calm. They both chuckle soft and Valentina walks over to me.

'Why are you even reading that?' She looks at me disparagingly while taking the book out of my hands. 'You are the one that should learn this, I don't', I declare.

'I know everything I have to know about my kingdom. Why should you bother to read this at all? You won't have the throne', she gives me an almost hateful look with her brown eyes before turning around with the book still in her hands.

'I don't need a throne to feel confident', I hiss back.

Olivia gasps while Val turns around in a rush. 'You are talking to your Crown princess', Olivia says indignant. I glance at her, feeling my anger raising up. 'I'm talking to my sister', I say calm before giving them both one last look.

'Excuse me your highness, I have other priorities'. I bow for my sister and walk to the door, leaving them behind in confusion.