༒ Seventy-nine ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

That morning at breakfast no one ate a thing. There were two empty chairs on our table, my father and August were nowhere to be found. I could see Val was desperate and so was Elliott. The candidates didn't dare to speak up, we all felt the tension in the air. It's the moment when a guard walks towards us and bows next to Valentina her eyes widen, a little light appearing again.

'He's in the hospital', she whispers when the guard leaves. We both stand up, leaving the candidates behind when Elliott follows us to the east wing. I don't think he had ever been this excited to see his father. Now I could understand how he must have felt when I ran away. When we enter the room, my father lays on a hospital bed, a little blood dripping down his head.

'Father! What happened?' Val sits next to him in an instant while Elliott and I keep aside. At least he seemed relieved also.

'It is only a scratch', he answers a little soar when he touches his forehead.

'Father, you have to know something ...'

'Madame Orsini already told me what has happened Valentina. The dark soldiers were in the castle and the Shadow Woman is taking over Rosalia's mind', he whispers calmly. I nod when he looks at me, tears in my eyes when I feel my courage coming back.

'Queen Emersyn was in the same vision also', I say soft. He stares in front of him, trying to find out what that could mean.

'Father do you believe Queen Emersyn has a deathly scream?' I ask confused when I take a seat at the end of his bed. He shakes his head a little, still lost in his own thoughts.

'That would be impossible', he answers.

'Why?' Val insists.

'Because the deathly scream is something you inherit from your parents. Neither her mother or father were in possession of a power like that'. We look at each other for a moment, not sure what to say when Madame Orsini and Sir John walk. Sir John smiles briefly at me before looking at my sister. He had told me I had to help my sister, it seemed we both were wrong, she could handle a tougher situation.

'August is back to the village', Madame Orsini informs my father.

'Again?' I ask confused. 'He was only here for a few hours'.

'I'm sure August knows what he is doing', my father remarks when he sees the fear in my eyes.

'Rosalia try to calm down otherwise that drink won't work properly', Madame Orsini reminds me. I nod a little, only listening to the conversations they are having.

'We have to make decisions right now. Valentina and I have talked about it and we are hosting the end of the Selection in three days. Make sure you inform the journalists Sir John', my father gives him a paper that lays on his bedside table. All the information of what was about to happen written on it.

'Excuse me your highness, but given the circumstances I don't believe it would be smart to do this right now', Sir John answers confused. Valentina stands up in a rush, her eyes narrowing his as she always does when she gets mad.

'We want to announce the crown prince in three days. All you have to do is spread the word', she hisses low. I look up confused, glad that I'm not the only one who feels the way Sir John does. Madame Orsini walks between both of them, trying to calm Val down.

'Are you both sure that is a good idea?' She asks again. My father sighs, followed by Val.

'We brought the families here, everyone is expecting the announcement, war or no war', my father explains calmly.

'I don't think it is smart', I interrupt them abruptly. Everyone looks at me, including Sir John who seems pleased for a moment.

'There will be many people in this castle what if they decide to attack us after the announcement?' I ask confused.

'They won't, Rosalia'. I look at my father in disbelief, not understanding how he could change his mind this quickly.

'Do you remember the fact that the Shadow Woman controls my mind? She is after me and I bring everyone in danger!' I stand up, looking over him.

'This isn't about you', he hisses.

'We are in danger father. Our land is in war, except it. Let me fight!' Instead of yelling back at me he sighs deep, trying to find the right words.

'Rosalia, dear, you are a princess. I don't want you to fight'. Everyone keeps quiet around us, even my sister doesn't seem to have the courage to stand up.

'I've fought with the soldiers before, I have great techniques. After all I am the only reason this is happening. Let me protect Ethura!'

'That is exactly the way your mother died!' He yells and I don't know what to answer. Madame Orsini walks over to me when I start shaking again, but I ignore her completely.

'Stop it!' Valentina jumps up, looking me right in the eyes again.

'You are upsetting our father, don't you have any respect?'

'How are you going to protect Ethura once you are Queen?' I dare her. Our hostility coming back without realising.

'I give commands, I protect my island from in the castle as a real Queen', she answers confident but all I can do is laugh at her.

'A real Queen would take out her sword and protect her citizens'.

'Enough Rosalia!' My father interrupts but I can't stop. We always came back to this moment, one day Val and I seemed to understand each other, but our differences were too big.

'A real Queen would risk her life to serve her land, you are too afraid!'

'How dare you humiliate me like this?'

'I'm not afraid', I his, turning to my father, hoping he would give me a chance.

'Why do you want this?' He asks eventually.

'I need to prove myself', I answer without thinking. 'I've never been good enough for you'. The tears gather behind my eyes but I ignore them, walking towards the door when his voice stops me.

'You are exactly your mother', he whispers more proud than mad. I lower my head, glad to get the compliment and walk out of the room without regret.