༒ Twenty-three༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

That afternoon I walk downstairs, hoping to find Levi, but instead I ran into an interview I had no idea was even going on. In the main hall, seats were placed and my sister was sitting in one of them, journalists and photographers around her. She must be in her element now.

'What are you looking for in your dream prince?' Someone asks and I laugh about the dullness of these questions. My sister on the other hand, seems to love the attention.

'I believe that trust is a really important characteristic, just like honesty. It's about the inner and not the outer of a person, we fall in love with souls not with looks', she answers calm. A vague smile appears on my face when I walk further down the stairs, trying not to be noticed. It sounds like she has rehearsed her answers.

'I believe I have to go', Valentina says, apologizing when our father walks in.

'One more question, princess please', another journalist begs. Proud she sits up straight, showing her loveliest face.

'Fine. One more question, but only for you'.

'What events during the Selection will we see on television?' Valentina smiles at the camera, probably not sure what she has to answer to this one.

'I haven't fully decided yet what events will take place, but I can tell you that I would love to organize a gala ball', she says excited. 'That's wonderful!', the journalist answers.

'Thank you for your time, your highness', one of them says before Val stands up and walks over to our father. I get down the stairs, still a smile on my face.

'Excuse me, princess?' Valentina turns around with a big smile that immediately disappears when the journalist walks over to me.

'Yes?' I answer stunned.

'I don't want to be impolite, but I was wondering if maybe we may do an interview with you?' he says unsure. I look from him to my sister whose face almost turns green.

'I'm not sure if ...'

'Of course you are doing it, Rosalia', my father interrupts me. I look up at him, a little surprised when he walks towards us.

'This, Rosalia, is Antonio Castillo. He is our main journalist, you'll see him much more around the castle in the future'. Antonio looks me right in the eyes when he shakes my hand.

'I think our citizens would love to have a better overlook at the family of our Crown Princess', he says enthused. Valentina leans against the wall, the less caring pose I've ever seen her hold.

'When are we doing the interview?' I ask.

'If you wouldn't mind, princess, now would be a good time', he says, his head turning red a little. I say that I'm fine with that and we both take a seat at the large couches. Valentina gets dragged along by father and they both leave the main hall, leaving me alone with this journalist and a bunch of other strangers.

'We could do an interview on camera or only for the newspaper. Both is also an option, what do you prefer, princess Rosalia?'

'Both is good for me and please call me Rosa', I say, smiling at him. Antonio definitely seems pleased about that and takes his black notebook for the questions. The red light on the camera appears and I try to ignore it, focusing on Antonio's face.

His short grey hair has the same colour as his eyes, only the glasses on his face are too round in my opinion. Without that he would look a lot more handsome.

'Thank you for doing this interview, princess Rosalia', he starts. I give him a disapproving look which makes him laugh. 'Of course, I'm sorry, I mean Rosa'.

'Thank you, Antonio'.

'I would lie if I told you that our citizens aren't interested in your life. What do you think of the attention?' He asks with a typical voice of a journalist. I try to sit up straight when I think of my answer, which comes quicker than I expected.

'I've never been the kind of girl who wants to stand in the spotlight. I'd rather hang out in my bedroom or on the roof with the dragons', I simply answer. After I said that, and by the look on his face, I realise how my father wouldn't like that answer at all.

'Well, that is interesting!' Antonio says clearly amused, which only makes me smile more. Also a part out of relieve.

'We already had a chance to meet our Crown Princess, your sister, but how would you describe yourself?'

'I think that over all people can rely on me. I try to help as much people around the castle as possible, although most of them won't let me', I add jokingly which makes him laugh out loud. 'But not everyone is perfect, I think my major flaw is that sometimes I can get angry, more at myself than at others but still I have to work on that', I add.

'People around the castle describe you as the warrior of your family, how does that make you feel?' He asks curious. I open my mouth immediately but stop myself from saying something stupid. Instead, I take a few seconds to overthink my answer.

'I think that I love an adventure, I may do certain things a girl like me shouldn't do, but that is part of who I am'.

'What do you mean, 'a girl like you'?' He repeats softer.

'I mean a princess, we have certain rules and I don't always follow them. Although I don't like to call myself a princess. I don't like the idea of someone having a status', I explain. Most of the man around me look approving of my word choice but it only makes me doubt. Father would be mad.

'You sound very much as your mother when she was your age. Very mature', Antonio almost whispers. I widen my eyes a little, not wanting to cry on television. I nod a little and he goes on with his questions.

'Do you remember much about your mother?'

'I do remember certain things, although most of them are rather vague. We used to do horseback riding together, she would sing for me if I couldn't sleep. It are the little things that I remember. I always admired her, I wanted to be strong like her'.

'I believe you are on the right path for that', Antonio says, his eyes staring at me with interest.

'One more question?' He asks and I agree, glad that this was almost over.

'How would you describe princess Valentina?' He asks and I feel a lump in my throat. At this moment ... not that good, I say in my head. I try to think of good things that had happened between us, but it had been a long time. I breathe in deep and decide to lie, no one had to know.

'I always admired my sister, I believe she is stronger than she realises. There is no doubt she would be a great Queen, with or without husband, she can handle this and I'm proud to call her my sister'. The words flew out of my mouth before even realising it. Antonio gives an approving look and tells his camera man to stop filming.

Once the red light dims I stand up and shake Antonio's hand one more time. 'That was a great interview, you have talent for this', he says giving me a bright smile.

'Thank you, Sir'. We both say goodbye before I leave the main hall in worry. I've said certain things my father wouldn't approve of, but at least I have talked nice about my sister and ironically most of it was a lie.