༒ Thirty-seven ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

That evening at dinner we eat venison, no one realising who killed the animal on their plates. My father looks down tense, he probably has a headache again, when the three candidates seem to enjoy their dinner. August doesn't seem to notice anything, neither does Elliott. But why would they? We ate venison often, only the hunter is different.

Next to me, I see Valentina smile at her plate. When I look at her, she rolls her eyes at me, telling me that she knows more than I think and we both laugh silent over the fact that we have our own secret for the first time in years. My father notices too, not quite understanding why we both seem happy about the same thing, which only makes us smile more. It makes him smile too, and I'm glad to see that.

Once Ezra looks over to me, he raises an eyebrow, asking me if I did this. I raise my both eyebrows two times in a row, making sure he understands that this princess, indeed could be a warrior.

He nods a little, still the smarty look on his face when he finishes the venison. When we all have finished our dinner, and the maids clear our table, Cameron and August start their own conversation and I'm dying to join them.

'The Dragon is making progress, this young man is incredible', August tells my father when nodding at Cameron who all of a sudden seems a little shy.

'That is good to hear. I'll have to thank you, Roman', my father notices which only makes Cameron more nervous. 'No need to thank me, your highness'.

'Please, call me Sir Martinez', my father waves away his comment and I wonder if all the candidates are allowed to do that. By the look on Ezra's face I could tell he was jealous, and figured that only Cameron could do this. I enjoy myself more than I should.

'What about his eyes?' I ask when the men keep silent again. 'Are they still turning red?' I focus my gaze on August while Cameron is the person I should talk to. August looks at him a little unsure and after a few seconds Cameron finally has the answer.

'Sometimes they turn red again, Princess. This only happens at night, strange enough. But I always try to be there. Recently we started to use a potion from the sorcerer which should calm him down and it seems to work', he explains, his eyes narrowing mine. I feel heat running up my cheeks when I catch his look.

'Good', is all I can say. I feel Val's gaze onme, suspicion in her eyes, hoping she would ignore me again as usual but shedoesn't. Why does she give me attention at these kind of moments? I should'vestopped talking. Only after a few seconds she turns to the other people at thetable, but I can feel the tension again, hoping it will fade away slowly