༒ Ninety ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

After the funeral there was a lot of handshaking and wishing each other the best, but we all knew at this moment what was coming ahead of us. I had admit the real reason behind the wars, the reason why we missed certain people right now.

Unlike my expectations most people reacted good on my honesty and even asked if they could help. I hadn't even made a plan myself yet, but once we knew what was going to happen we could use anyone who was willing to join us.

'Rosalia', a soft voice wakes me from my staring at the leaving guests. I turn around to see Iris, the Crown Princess of Parisha standing a few steps above me. A vague smile on her face as if she has no idea what to tell me.

'I didn't know you would come', I say when she walks down to me and we both hug for a moment.

'I heard about the war and what had happened to Valentina. I can't tell you how sorry I am', she whispers in my hair. I hug her tighter, honestly needing one. 'Your speech was great by the way', she says when we release each other and walk down the borders to the new driveway.

'I didn't know what to tell them. They say honesty remains the longest but maybe I am wrong about that'.

'Believe me if I tell you that your citizens have a lot of faith in you. They always thought you were the strongest', she reminds me. I look away, not wanting to hear that right now and she sighs a little, understanding my reactions.

'My mother wanted me to tell you that if you need any help with the situation of Ivory, we are here for you no matter what'. Iris takes my hand in hers, squeezing it a little.

'Are your parents here?' I ask.

'They are talking with your father. I thought I would tell you myself'.

'Thank you Iris', I say before we hug again.

'Honestly Rosalia, this isn't a goodbye. I am sure we will see each other again', she winks at me before walking away. Joining her family again when they climb in their carriage. I realised how important friendships were all of a sudden, even from the people you didn't see in years.

Iris had always been a classy woman like my sister, but she knew how to fight. I knew she would help me if I asked. Once their carriage disappears in the distance I walk back to the entrance of the castle, Ezra walking out of it followed by his mother. Both of them holding their luggage.

'Are you leaving already?' I ask confused. He looks from me at his mother, once he realises she is going to talk with my father he comes closer, loosening his tie from his suit to breathe again.

'I don't have any business here anymore', he says, staring me in my eyes like he always used to, trying to intimidate me. I didn't mind at this point. I look at him for a moment, not feeling the hate I used to feel anymore. I had seen him broken, I knew how he had felt about my sister and that was enough for me.

'You loved her', I notice soft. He looks down at the ground, searching for words. The pain clearly in his eyes when he looks up again, trying to ignore it.

'I did, but I also knew she couldn't love me the same way', he whispers a little hoarse. Both our gazes go to Olivia who sits alone on the stairs in front of the castle, mourning over the person she had loved.

'You knew?' I ask.

'Her heart belonged to someone else. I could tell that from the first month I was here, it only took me longer to figure out who she loved, someone she couldn't be with'. His gaze keeps resting on Olivia while I stare at him. Never had I seen him this way.

'Still you would do anything for the throne?' I say confused. He turns his head to me again, shaking it in disagreement.

'No, I couldn't care less about that throne. I would've done anything for your sister to be happy'.

'Ezra!' His mother yells when she climbs in a carriage, still giving me the filthy look. With one last nod he turns around, taking his luggage when he walks to his mother.

'Rosalia', his voice sounds and I turn around again to face him. 'Goodluck with your adventure', he says with a goofy smile on his face and I can't but smile back. He would've done anything to make my sister happy, even if it broke his own heart.

⇺ ⇻ ♕ ⇺ ⇻

'We used to dance all night, especially the times she had accomplished something new. Valentina used to be proud', Olivia tells me when we sit on the floor in Val's room again.

'I can't imagine my sister dancing like that', I laugh and she follows my lead, nodding her head a little.

'Valentina cared a lot about the way people saw her. She wanted to be brave like her mother, like you', she whispers eventually.

'Do you think she ran on that field to prove herself?' I ask after a while.

'I'm not sure, but there is a chance'. I nod a little, looking at all the different pictures laying on the ground, wanting to hear the stories behind each and every one of them.

'When was this taken?' I point at a picture of Val with a bunch of ladies behind her. Olivia starts laughing, the twinkle in her eyes appearing again when she looks at it.

'That day Valentina had to meet with the court ladies, she didn't like them at all. The whole day she was angry but for the picture she had to smile', she explains.

'Val was angry a lot, wasn't she?' I ask carefully and Olivia nods.

'One second she could be the happiest girl alive and the other one she would be more angry than you could imagine. I never figured out why that was'.

'Maybe she was frustrated because she couldn't be herself?' I guess.

'Maybe', Olivia claims. We talk like that for hours, laughing until we cried at some moments. I never had thought Olivia could become a possible friend, I had never seen this side of her before but finally I could understand why Val kept her this close. There was nothing above true love.

A soft knock on the open door catches our attention and August walks in, doubting a little when he sees both of us laugh.

'I wanted to talk to you', he says, looking at me. Olivia gestures to stand up but August tells her its fine and instead I walk out of the room, following him to our favourite place in the whole castle. The roof.

We sit on the edge together, our legs hanging over the wall when we stare at the village. I couldn't count the amount of times I had been here, trying to calm myself down, trying to get control over my feelings. I had met Cameron here, my dragon had been killed here and now I was sitting next to the person who had been more of a father to me than my actual one, keeping the silence for a moment.

'What is your plan?' August asks after a while. I turn my head to him, seeing the excitement in his eyes.

'I guess you'll have to help me with that', I admit.

'It would be my pleasure'. He grimaces while looking at the village, seeing the sun slowly going down until the sky is a bright red colour.

'Do you think we will ever find out who the Shadow Woman is?' I ask.

'If we work together there might be a chance. We have to protect each other', he answers honest.

'Will you help me?' I look at him, seeing his gaze soften when I ask him this, almost shy all of a sudden.

'Always', he whispers before laying his arm around me. Both of us sit on the edge, holding on to each other. During the last months our relationship had grown, and I couldn't be more grateful to have August Magnier in my life.