༒ Sixty ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

With Cameron behind me I run straight to my father's office, not caring about the problems we had. Once I slam the doors open he turns away from Sir Woods, his expression changing when he sees me completely out of breath. The leather bag still wrapped around my back. There were more important things going on now.

'Father ...'

'Not now, Rosalia'. In a rush I walk over to his desk, Cameron still standing behind me when I lean over it, forcing my father to look me in the eyes.

'There is something going on in the village, a huge fire started!' I raise my voice, making my point clear. Without hesitating for a second he stands up and orders Sir Woods to notify August as quickly as possible.

'And you are going to search for Madame Orsini, I need her in the conference room immediately', father tells Cameron.

'I should fight with the army, sir', Cameron insists.

'Only when they get to the castle Roman! Now find her!' My father yells and with one nod Cameron disappears in the corridor.

'Look Rosalia, I don't care what you were doing this late outside. Make sure that you stay upstairs and warn your sister', my father demands before running out of his office. I follow him immediately, running up the stairs when the staff runs down. The whole castle hectic about what was happening.

When I run past the sitting area on the second floor, I stop and stare out of the window, the fire in the village only getting bigger with every minute. An enormous pain raises up in my chest out of panic. Ignoring it, I run immediately towards the room of my sister, warning her for the danger that was coming.

⇺              ⇻ ♕ ⇺              ⇻

Valentina wanted to stay in her room, clearly mad at me for causing this situation. It hadn't mattered what I said, the sun was already down and through the windows of the sitting area I could see the fire still burning.

Sometimes a great flurry of fire stopped my heart for a moment, but it had happened so many times now that I wasn't even scared anymore. Jade and Olivia had accompanied me when I ran downstairs to look for Madame Orsini, but luckily Cameron had already found her and joined us together with Theodore.

The five of us sat devastated in the sitting area, waiting for possible news that turned out to never come. Sometimes the guards would pass us in a hurry, trying to secure the castle if the riots would expend.

'It feels useless not do to anything', Cameron interrupts the silence. I nod in agreement, so does Olivia against my expectations.

'Maybe I should check in on my sister', I mumble but Olivia takes me by my arm, keeping me from standing up.

'I am sure that princess Valentina is good, Ezra accompanies her', she whispers and I'm not sure what it is about her voice, but she doesn't sound pleased.

'I guess she made her choice', Theodore notices dejected. I look up at Cameron for a moment, him smiling shortly at me and I look down, not able to show the relieve I feel with the others around me. Jade had noticed it too and she laid her hand on my knee, telling me by that gesture that she understood me.

After a while of doing nothing I stand up and walk over to Theodore who sits by the window, followed by Jade who hadn't been herself the last couple of hours.

'Levi is there somewhere', Jade touches the glass, fear in her eyes.

'He is a great soldier', Theodore notices.

'He'll safe himself, he always does', I add and Jade leans against my arm. I lay my head on top of hers, seeing our reflexions in the window. If I ever had thought that I felt powerless, I was wrong. At this point, I didn't feel anything.

'I'll check in with the other court ladies if they know more', Olivia stands up and walks down the stairs without saying another word.

'They may know all the gossip, I doubt they know anything more than we do', Jade smiles briefly. We all grimace about that. Another girl walks up the stairs quickly, trying to get our attention by couching a little.

'Estelle', I mumble when I see the maid with her curly white hair in the reflexion of the window.

'Excuse me, princess Rosalia', she bows. I turn around to look at her.

'Please call me Rosa', I say calm. 'Take a seat, Estelle. I have to check in with my brother', I say to everyone before I stand up and walk in the corridor again.

Behind me a soft mumbling starts when I leave and I run immediately to Elliott's bedroom, realising I hadn't warned him at all. I had been that focused on my own mistakes that I made another one and forgot about my own brother. When I arrive at his door, it stands open a little, the room filled with the light of a few candles.

'Elliott?' I say when I walk in, only to see my brother walking up and down in his room, completely frustrated. His curtains are closed, his breathing is deep as if he as a panic attack. I walk over to him quickly, forcing him to look at me.

'I'm sorry, I was confused by everything that is going on. I should have been here immediately', I apologize and see the gaze in his eyes soften.

'I don't want a war', he sighs anxious. I take him by his arm and we sit down at the end of his bed, our hands clenched together.

'The soldiers are protecting the village, everything will be fine', I try to assure him. The only problem with telling him this, was that I wasn't only lying to myself but also to my beloved brother.

'What if they get in the castle?' He asks desperate.

'August makes sure they won't. Levi is fighting in the village, you trust him right?'

'Rosa, I am not a little child. You don't have to comfort me', he says louder than I'm used to. I look him right in the eyes, realising how true this was. This boy was my little brother, yet I knew so less about him.

'Aren't you afraid?' I ask quietly.

'Of course I am. Aren't you?' I nod a little, afraid to cry in front of my brother.

'This is my fault', I admit.

'This is the fault of poor communication', he corrects me. I smile a little at him, vaguely seeing a characteristic of my father in the way he talks.

'Are you going to hide if they get in?' He asks me concerned. I look down at our hands, not wanting to hurt him.

'I want to protect Ethura', I admit and he nods understanding.

'Join us in the sitting area', I whisper and stand up. Elliott follows me without doubting, blowing out the candles before he leaves his room. When the two of us got back, Jade was gone and Theodore still sat at the window, staring in the distance.

'Jade and Estelle had to help the soldiers', Cameron whispers when we take a seat in front of him. Elliott leans against my shoulder when his eyes close softly. Before I even realised my eyes were closing also, vague images appearing before my eyes about fires and riots.

'Try to get some sleep', I hear Cameron whisper before I feel a soft blanket on top of me. 'Everything will be fine. I'll protect you', he says soft before everything goes black and I fall asleep without wanting too.