༒ Eighty-two ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

'I can't believe you made me a dress!' Audrey shouts excited while turning around in front of the mirror. Jade had done everything she could to make a princess dress for Audrey.

Today we would find out who our Crown Prince would be. I didn't feel good about this day. It is like this indescribable feeling when you know something is wrong and you can't tell what it is. Audrey and Jade on the other hand didn't see any harm. August was still protecting the village, he would miss the announcement just like many other soldiers. All I could do was stare out of the window, making sure no threat was coming for us.

If only I could talk to my sister for a moment, we hadn't talked in three days after our fight. I had to tell her that I was happy for her, that I admired her also. But she was locked in her room, preparing for the big announcement.

'Rosalia! You should wear this tiara', Audrey wakes me up from my overthinking. It takes me a while to turn around, both of them stare at me a little sad. They knew I didn't feel well, still they tried not to mention it. I slowly walk over to Audrey who holds a small golden tiara with a few red diamonds on it. Jade takes it and places it on top of my head before dragging me to the mirror.

'Try to enjoy it a little', she whispers when Audrey waits hopeful for my reaction. The red diamonds matched perfectly with the simple golden dress I was wearing. Valentina had asked me to wear a dress like this, to show the citizens that we were equal. I had no idea where that came from, but here I stood.

My hair was a little wavy and Jade had made two braids starting on top of my head that ended in ponytails. It definitely gave me a more brave look which is why I had let her.

'You are right, Audrey. It's perfect', I say soft. She jumps up and down in her soft pink dress, glad that she could make me proud. Jade gives me an approving look before walking towards the door to leave us alone. She still had a lot of work together with the other maids. Everything had to be perfect.

'I have to prepare myself. Call me if you need something, Rosa', she whispers. I nod a little before she closes the door, leaving me alone with Cameron's sister.

We only had an hour to be in the Great Hall and I would wait until the last minute to enter. I didn't feel safe in our castle. I hadn't for a few days. It seemed like I was the only one who had panicked because of the dark soldiers in our castle, still Audrey had no idea what was going on. I hated that I couldn't be honest with her. She had proven herself a worthy friend.

'What about this one?' I ask, taking a small silver tiara and point it at her.

'I don't think it matches the gold but ...'

'I mean for you, Audrey'. I smile at her when her face turns pale, not knowing how to answer me. I place it on her head and let her take a look in the mirror like Jade had done with me. Audrey could easily be a princess, maybe even more than I could.

'Are you sure?' She asks shy all of a sudden.

'Of course. You are my friend', I assure her before she almost falls in my arms.

'Thank you Rosa! Thank you', she shouts. We both laugh at each other, her smile making me forget my worries for a moment. Cameron would be proud to see his sister like this. And I couldn't be more proud to have both of them in my life.

Audrey was a young woman who had seen a lot, growing up in the South must not have been easy and thanks to her I do understand a lot more now. It seemed that Status meant everything in Ethura and I couldn't understand why my father wouldn't change that. Why wasn't he supporting the South more?

'I would've never thought I would wear a dress like this. Not even to mention the tiara!' Audrey looks at herself in the mirror again, proud about the way she looked.

'I mean, back home I wear the same dresses all day. A lot of my classmates bully me about it but if they could see me now', she completely dreams away.

'They will see you on television', I remind her, seeing the excitement in her eyes.

'Thank you for giving me this moment', she whispers. We talk like that for a moment, trying to hide our nerves. We had no idea who my sister would choose but it was clear that Theodore and Ezra were real competitors. Although Audrey was a little worried Cameron would be the next Crown Prince. I couldn't tell her about the talk I had had with Valentina. Whatever it was that Cameron and I had must be a secret. No one could find out. Not even our families.

'Thank you for saving Cameron', Audrey whispers before we walk into the corridors, looking me right in the eyes. I couldn't answer her, the image of her not having her brother broke me.