༒ Ninety-two ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

'These corridors will never be the same again', I whisper when I walk with August through them. The walls were empty, no painting had survived. Even the statues were gone, some windows were still broken and even the carpet had still blood on it. We had a lot of work to repair this castle, but we would succeed, I was sure of that.

'If I could be a soldier we have another income', I hear a voice around the corner. August and I hold still behind it, giving each other a look when we here Cameron talk.

'It is dangerous, your live has been saved before', his mother says calmly, but I could hear the regret in her voice for taking this from him.

'I've been a soldier for the past seven months', Cameron reminds her.

'My brother is a good soldier', Audrey says enthusiastic which makes both his parents laugh.

'Father, mother, please give me this chance', he begs them.

'Cameron you don't have to work that much in the village if you don't want too. We both have an income now, we'll be alright. Besides, who can guarantee you that you have work here?' Mrs Roman asks. August lays his hand on my back, pushing me a little forward after a short wink until I'm around the corner. The four of them stand in a circle, Cameron clearly desperate when he sees me.

'I ...'

'I can', I interrupt him. He looks at me between the heads of his parents, the two of them turning around when they hear me. 'Cameron will always have work in this castle if he wants too', I say louder when no one answers. On his father's face a smile appears, gratefulness all over it. Although his mother doesn't seem convinced.

'He can be a soldier!' Audrey says, pulling at the arm of her mother.

'It would be an honour to have Cameron in our army', August joins me, both of them looking at each other in pride. Cameron walks around his mother, almost jumping in Augusts arms while I walk to the front, seeing the fear in his mother's eyes, trying to calm her down.

'Mrs Roman, I can assure you that Cameron will always be heard by us. You all have become more than family, especially since everything we went through. I've heard about your house and I would like to invite you to stay with us until your home is liveable again'. Tears appear in his mother's eyes, gratitude all over her face when she lays her arms around me, shaking a little.

'Thank you princess', she whispers.

'Please, call me Rosa', I say for the thousandth time and everyone laughs, knowing that is my standard answer.

'Thank you, Rosa', she smiles after releasing me. Her fear wasn't gone, but at least I could see she was hopeful again. So was Cameron who kept on smiling at me for the whole day. His sister noticed it, but she kept her mouth shut, enjoying this as much as we did.

⇺              ⇻ ♕ ⇺              ⇻

Jade was busy painting again and her room was filled with new canvasses, almost all of them colourfully dressed. She had never painted like this, it seemed that sadness could have a better outcome.

I had been afraid my friend would give up her hopes, that she would hold on to the past. And maybe that moment was still about to come, but I wouldn't let it come that far. I never wanted her to be hurt again. I softly knock on her door before entering, seeing the pain all over her face.

'Are you starting over again?' I ask when she takes another canvas and sets it aside, the landscape on it magnificent.

'We can't stay in our pasts. It hurts and it will hurt a very long time, maybe forever but I want to be happy', she explains when she starts with another colour of blue.

'I'm sure that is what Levi had wanted', I remark when I walk closer. She turns to face me, a soft smile on her face.

'Me too', she agrees. 'Ezra has left, Theodore also. What about Cameron?' She asks when I look out of her tiny window, seeing the trees move in the wind.

'His family stays a little longer until they can live in their home again'.

'Will Cameron leave then?' She puts her brush down, her voice a little concerned when I look at her reflexion in the window.

'He'll stay here in the army', I answer.

'You don't seem happy', Jade notices when she stands next to me, trying to understand what I was thinking about.

'Cameron never wanted to become a King. I am the Crown Princess now', I explain softly and she takes me in her arms, making me dirty with paint.

'I'm sure that if he wants to be with you he won't make a problem out of that', Jade tries to assure me, but I could here she didn't believe herself.

'We will see what our future brings. I still have a few years before becoming a Queen. Father told me I didn't have to be one on my eighteenth'. Jade looks me in the eyes, pride over her face.

'I'm glad you fight for what you believe in. I can understand why Audrey admires you like this'. We both laugh at that, remembering the many times Audrey had made clear how much I meant to her. Luckily, over the past weeks she had meant a lot to me also. She still had to learn a lot, but I knew for sure that one day she would break many and many of hearts.

'The castle is in horrible condition', Jade remarks when she starts painting again. I stare at her, her blonde hair behind her ears, her blue eyes focused when I realise something.

'I may have an idea for that', I whisper more to myself than to her. 'And you could earn a lot to that', I add. I stand up, promising her I would come back before I leave her behind in confusion.

Only ten minutes later I had gathered my brother, Cameron and Olivia to help me carry Jade's paintings to the corridor downstairs. The five of us hang them all over the places were other paintings used to hang. All the canvasses fitted perfectly, bringing some more life in our damaged castle. Jade hangs up the last one and walks backwards when we all admire her painting of our castle. She had some talent, and now everyone could admire it.

'Are you sure your father won't mind?' She asks when we all walk through the corridors together.

'Believe me, he will love it', I say when I hold still at the spot my mother's painting used to hang. One of the many empty places on the wall.

'I can make something new', Jade suggests. I take her hand and nod a little when another voice stops us from walking further.

'You know, we should do something', Cameron notices, a twinkle in his eyes.

'What?' Olivia asks confused.

'Something to remember the last months. It doesn't have to be something big, we could make a kind of ritual. Remembering our loved ones', he explains. We all look at each other, no one saying a word until I step forward.

'What are you suggesting?' I ask curious. A sly smile appears on his face, and once he walks down the corridor we follow him, not knowing what would happen.