༒ Eighteen ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

The Great Hall filled itself with people from all over the castle. It was a shame how less faces I could recognize. The round tables had taken place for only rows and more rows of seats for the staff to take place on.

Jade and Levi sat next to each other, talking and laughing. I loved to see how Jade would blush every time he looked at her. They would be great together. In the front row, Madame Orsini and Uncle August had taken place. Uncle August gives me an encouraging look which is exactly what I need.

Valentina and I hadn't talked since our moment at the gates. I'm sure she was mad at me for what the journalist had written in the newspaper, but after all that wasn't my fault. I had reminded her not to wear a dress on a horse, but she couldn't help herself.

I smile to every guest that walks by and bows for me with my little brother on my right side. We were the only Martinez' who were present. On the tribune we sat on, four thrones stood spread to make clear who the most important one was and who wasn't.

My father's throne in the middle, on his left Valentina's throne, and on his right Elliot's and mine who were slightly smaller than the two others. I barely could get my nerves under control, the idea that only in a few minutes the cameras would film us made me nervous. I didn't want to be here.

How nervous all of the young men must be who had registered. Their lives could change, not to mention the responsibilities they all of a sudden would carry.

When I look over at the camera man, my father is busy talking to make sure everything runs smoothly. I hadn't even got a chance to ask him how he feels about this. Did he even want to withdraw of his position? If Valentina has found her soulmate that moment would come quicker than we all think. Elliot next to me, fumbles with his fingers, clearly bored or nervous.

'Are you okay?' I ask soft. He turns his head to me and nods, giving me a little smile. I stare back into the crowd, the seats are almost filled when my father walks on the tribune and takes place on his throne, not even giving us a small glance.

'What if she doesn't find her prince?' Elliott asks all of a sudden. I stare at him, not realising what he had asked immediately. He wasn't really a conversation starter and it took me longer to answer than normally.

'If she doesn't find a prince than I think our father will still be King for a while', I answer unsure. He lifts his shoulders and goes back quiet.

'Fifteen seconds!' The camera man shouts. I open my eyes in shock, not sure how time could pass that fast. It seems like everyone in this crowd is counting with the man until a small red light appears on the machine and an automatic smile appears on my face. Hiding the nerves as always. My father stands up and walks a little closer to the camera until Elliott and I are only background anymore.

'Today, our future will change!' My father says excited. 'I want to welcome all and every one of you at home at this special event. As you all know, we haven't filmed in our castle for a long time, but this time is an exception', he says while smiling as if he never has been tired, as if his life is all about fun.

'Me and my family', he turns a little to us while Elliott and I keep the smile stuck on our faces. 'Are pleased to inform you that we have chosen three candidates for your Crown Princess!' A loud applause rises up in the Great Hall, people mumbling to each other in excitement.

'Let us welcome at the stage, the Crown Princess of Ethura, Valentina Indira Martinez!' My father shouts for the last time and then the wide doors of the Great Hall open, cameras turning immediately to record my sister's entry.

Both me and my brother stand up, also clapping in our hands when behind two guards the perfect face of my sister appears, smiling as if her life depends on it.

The guards step aside and in a rush I feel a stab in my stomach. I lower my hands, not able to control my emotions when I see Valentina walk in, wearing the green coronation dress that used to be my mothers. No one else seems to notice it, my father eyes shining in the light of the chandeliers while he looks proud at the woman that walks slow and controlled down the aisle.

I feel my jaw tighten when Valentina bows for our father and he kisses her hand. Heat is raising up my face when they both walk to their thrones and take a seat.

'That is wrong', I hear Elliott whisper when he leans a little to me. Apparently I wasn't the only one who was mad about this. Where did she even find that dress? Father had told me it was hidden in a safe place to remember our mother in her glory, and now someone else wore the dress.

I feel tears in my eyes out of anger but then see a camera pointed at me and try to soften my look. I felt like I was about to faint. Once the applause stops, our priest walks on the stage, standing between my throne and fathers throne, holding papers in his hand.

He was an old man, white hair and beady eyes. But he was good in his job, he always helped me when I felt like I couldn't take it anymore.

'Our Crown Princess, Valentina Martinez, is loved by her citizens that much, that even young man of other Kingdoms found a way to register for the Selection', he starts, making some people laugh soft. 'Today, one of these names', he holds up the papers and waves them, 'will be your future King. Let us all pray, that our lovely Valentina finds her prince and lives a happy life', he says. His voice is calm and soft as always. I loved to listen to him, and something about that voice made me feel a little calmer.

'Let us begin', he announces when everyone holds his breath for a moment. Through his small glasses he looks at the first paper and smiles briefly before sharing this moment with us.

'Our first candidate, a young man of Ethura, artistic and a worker, nineteen years old. Theodore Winston Sinclair!' He shouts.

That was the first name, I realise. This could be my brother in law, my future king. Theodore, I repeat, trying not to forget that name. The applause and cheering stops when the priest holds his hand up and continuous.

'Our second candidate, also a young man of Ethura, a fighter and a hopeless romantical, eighteen years old. Cameron Hunter Roman!' Another round of applause raises up and I feel annoyed when I can't picture a face while hearing the names. Theodore and Cameron, I say again in my head, feeling stupid for the way I act.

'Our last candidate', the priest announces when taking a look at the paper. The smile on his face fades for a few seconds and confused he looks up, turning his head a little to glance at my father who nods at him. The priest turns around again, facing the camera.

'Excuse me. Our third candidate, a young man of Syrilia, a leader and fearless, nineteen years old. Ezra Ryan Carter!' He screams the last name and a few people look questionable at each other. I had opened his envelope, that is why father told me to keep it. Something about his last name told him that he was Royalty. He lived in Syrilia.

I stare in front of me, looking at Jade who gives me a not understanding look, but I couldn't explain it to her. That boy was an even big mystery for me as for her. Valentina stands up once the priest walks down the tribune, all the camera's focusing on her.

'I want to thank every single one of you who helped me to make this event become reality. Never could I have dreamed to host a Selection. I personally read through the register forms to confirm that I see potential in these three young man. Theodore Sinclair, Cameron Roman and Ezra Carter. I can't wait until you all join our castle in less than a few days and we can finally meet each other. I have a good feeling about this. Thank you', my sister bows at the end of her speech, holding up my mother's dress, reminding me why I felt this angry.

After that the four of us stood together on the tribune, letting photographers take pictures of us while I fake my smile the best I can.

The names have been announced and one of them will be my King soon enough. There is no way out, I have to accept that our Kingdom will change. But how could I?