༒ Sixty-five ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

I couldn't sleep that night. My father had finally admit that Ivory was an exciting place. He hadn't told me about it in order to want to protect me. But he had failed, I was too curious. We knew they were after me, the only question was if this would end with my death. They needed my voice to bring their founder back alive.

I had never dared to imagine something like that was possible, I knew so less about our own legends. I sit down at the window in the sitting area upstairs, wanting to be alone for only one moment. Cameron and I hadn't spoken anymore, although I was sure he had to stay a few nights in the hospital with Theodore. Their wounds could have been worse, but they were bad enough.

Images of the fight appear before my eyes. The soldiers trying to kill me kept haunting me. They had had so many chances to kill me and yet I still sat here, making me questioning if I was the only reason for the war. I see Cameron laying down again, the dark soldier bowed over him before wanting to kill him.

Tears appear in my eyes when I stare at my own reflexion in the window, realising that if I hadn't fought today he would've been gone. I would never be able to talk to him again, never listen to his soft deep voice. Never look into those eyes again. It made me aware how easily someone's life could end in only a few seconds.

I felt myself sinking away in my thoughts when outside the guards were gathering around in front of the castle. My father wanted more security, which meant not going outside, not going on the roof, simply not leaving this castle. I always used to laugh about the story of a princess locked up in her tower, but today, that story had become reality.

'Our hero', someone says sarcastic from behind me. I stare in the window at the reflexion of Ezra, rolling my eyes when he walks closer.

'What do you want, prince?' I raise an eyebrow which only makes him laugh.

'I thought they would never get the mud and blood out of your hair. Seems that your maid did a pretty good job'.

'She isn't my maid', I hiss.

'Right, my fault', he defends himself and takes a seat next to me, looking out of the window.

'I had warned you that my dear aunt wasn't starting a war. Still you only think bad about my family'.

'What did you want me to do? She was here and the dragon got killed'.

'There were other strangers here that night', he says annoyed.

'Not strangers who looked like the Shadow Woman', I notice harsh. He nods a little before turning his face again, also looking at the soldiers outside. It seems that for the first time in months he has no idea what to tell me.

'Tell me prince, why fighting for a princess' hand when one day you could rule over your own Kingdom?', I start, catching his attention immediately.

'I'm not expecting something will happen with my aunt or my niece any time soon', Ezra explains while looking me right in the eyes. His gaze questionable.

'Why don't you want to be a Queen?' I laugh at him, realising how stupid that sounds but he doesn't see it as a joke. 'You could have anything your heart desires', he adds. I shake my head, breaking our eye contact when I look down at my legs. Still wearing the jeans from earlier today.

'I already have everything I want. I have my horses, my dragons, I can chase deer with bow and arrow and still have a little freedom'.

'You choose that above the ability to rule a Kingdom?' He asks surprised.

'Of course', I simply answers. He looks outside again, the sun completely under, leaving us behind with a dark sky.

'You are a princess, one day you need to find a prince', he breaks the silence again.

'I'm becoming an independent woman, no need to find a prince', I answer quickly but realise what a lie that has become. It is something I had always wanted to be, the first princess to become independent, no man needed. Cameron was a jerk for stealing my heart like that.

'If you say so', he answers a little amused before standing up, not hiding his grimace at all. 'I still think you are insane for what you have done today'.

'And I still believe you are a coward for not fighting', I notice. He shakes his head before leaving me behind, our first conversation that hadn't turned out in a fight. I still wasn't impressed by him, Ezra Carter was horrible in my eyes.