༒ Eight ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

I woke up the next morning earlier than anyone would ever believe. Even the sun still had trouble waking up. Last evening, Jade had hung a new dress in my wardrobe with a note that I had to wear this today. Even my father had approved of it apparently. Probably, he didn't expect me to show up in proper clothes.

I already wore my dark red dress with off shoulder details when Jade decided to enter my room, only half an hour before I had to be in the Great Hall. Her eyes looked tired with dark circles under them, still I decided not to mention that, she smiled either way.

'Let me braid your hair', she says while walking towards my jewellery table, expecting me to jump in the seat. Carefully, I lift up my dress to make sure I don't fall over it and wonder, again, why girls like to dress up. Once I sit down she starts braiding with an enormous concentration, as if it's the first time she ever does it. My hair and her hands should be best friends after three years of collaboration. I take a look at her in the mirror, seeing the smile she tries to hide.

'What is going on?' I ask, glad to see her happy. She shakes her head a little, still smiling at her hands.

'Well, I was downstairs earlier. I'm not sure what is going to happen but there are cameras all over the Great Hall'. Her blue eyes twinkle in the light of the upcoming sun, pure enthusiasm on her face.

'Cameras?' I ask suspiciously. 'And journalists from the village', she adds while pinning my last loose lock of hair. I stand up in confusion. This was a serious event, not just something to get me in a dress. I could only think of one possibility.

'You don't think they are going to announce the date of my sisters coronation, do you?' My arms grab my waist tightly, nausea raising up a little.

'She doesn't even have a king', Jade lifts her shoulders while cleaning my jewellery table, all I can do is shiver at the thought. I walk over to my window to see the upcoming sun behind the waterfall. Of course there is a lot of deer on the island today. I can't hunt with that much people around, not even to mention the cameras.

The moment I think of that something from below flashes to my window, blinding me for a second. 'What...' I murmur and stand back to close my curtains in only a second. Jade chuckles when I turn around, my eyes wide open.

'Don't we have any privacy?' I ask louder than I wanted. By the look on her face I can see she didn't expect that reaction but pulls herself together quickly.

'Maybe we have to see this as something positive. If they are filming around the castle you can show the citizens of Ethura how great of a princess you are'.

'Or I lose all my freedom', I say again making clear my point. Jade takes a look at me for a moment, observing my outer. 'You should make a great queen. Have you ever realised that?' I turn around in a rush, shaking my head. 'I don't want to be a queen. I want more than that'.

'Your mother was a queen and a warrior at the same time', she reminds me.

'Valentina is the crown princess and I'll have to stand by her side once she has the throne'. That thought only made me feel more sick. 'Well, maybe Ethura won't be lost than', Jade notices with a grimace which makes me laugh a little too.

A knock on my door stops our laughing and Jade walks towards it as usual. I take another look of myself in the mirror before I roll my eyes and greet my guest.

'Sir Woods', I hear Jade greet Levi in the small hallway. I walk towards them, Levi's eyes lighting up when he sees me in a dress.

'Princess'. He bows for me, trying to hide his smile but fails as usual. 'You are impossible', I notice which makes him only more proud. 'Impossible or not, Milady, your father asked me to escort you and our lovely friend to the Great Hall', he looks from me to Jade who's cheeks turn a little red.

Levi was probably the only one who didn't refer to Jade as my maid, which made him a good friend. After all, the three of us had our own history.

Levi had been my best friend ever since we were toddlers. We would ride horses together under the supervision of our parents, sometimes visit the dragons on the roof of the east wing with Uncle August.

Then, when I was about the age of seven, Jade joined the castle, emerging like an angel from heaven. The three of us together were unstoppable, even when one year later my mother died, they were always there. And until today, they still are.

It was when Levi joined the army three years ago, and out of nowhere Jade became my maid, that we stopped hanging out that much. I wish those things were different.

Levi wake's me up from my thoughts by waving hishand in front of my face. 'Are you ready?' He asks. 'Always', I answer, takinghis arm while Jade follows us into the corridor.