༒ Twelve ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

On my way to the main hall, I stroll past an open door, which normally is closed. I knock on it before walking in and see Madame Orsini dragging with boxes. The old office is covered in dust, old books all over the desk. Bookshelves with missing planks, the curtains with holes in them... I had never seen a room in our castle that looked as damaged as this one.

Madame Orsini smiles at me when I walk in and looks around the old room. 'Let me help you', I insist when she takes another heavy box. She drops it immediately and laughs out loud.

'Princess Rosalia, I love your compassion but a royalty shouldn't help it's servants', she reminds me which shuts me up in a second. Was it that wrong to help another person? In the corner of the room an old leather seat is also covered in dust.

'I wouldn't sit on that one', Madame Orsini notices while looking at my dress. 'We wouldn't want your father to see you with dirt on that white dress'. She tries to smile polite, but the sarcasm in her voice is audible.

I look down at my simple white dress, remembering how I had asked Jade to make me a proper dress without it screaming 'I'm royalty!'. Which also was the reason I loved to wear it. It had a plain crocheted pattern around the waist, every girl could wear this and still look important.

'The news has spread?' I ask curious. Madame Orsini nods immediately, knowing what I'm talking about. I sigh a little and take an old book out of one of the boxes. Browsing through it while I ask her more about the situation. If there would be any maid that knew the details, it would be the head maid, of course.

'How did the citizens react on the news?'

'You father has already received a lot of register forms', she confirms my thoughts.

'But it's not even noon yet', I say, looking through the curtains to the little bit of sunlight. 'I don't believe any boy in Ethura would want to miss the chance to marry a princess', she answers dreamy while unpacking another box.

'Maybe we should clean this place before unpacking', I remind her.

'I asked a few maids to come in an hour. They'll clean up whatever has happened here', she turns around and spreads her arms to all the damage. 'This happened in the war, didn't it?' Madame Orsini nods a little devastated.

'This room hasn't been used after that, we used it to teach the little ones about our history and politics'. I keep quiet for a moment until she wakes me up from my thoughts with her loud voice. 'Speaking about maids, where is my niece?'

'Jade is in her room, she had a headache. I told her to take a free day'. She looks around, shaking her head in disagreement. 'That girl needs to know her place', she mumbles almost noiseless.

'I don't mind', I say quick but she doesn't respond anymore. Not wanting to start a discussion, I browse further through the book and hold at one page that catches my attention.

'Madame Orsini?' I ask confused and turn around. When she sees the book in my hands her eyes widen a little. 'What is this chapter about another Island? Ivory?' I take a closer look of the castle on the picture when she takes the book out of my hands abruptly.

'It's a myth, there is no third Island in our Kingdom', she says quick as if she's afraid there would be one. 'Then why is it in that history book? I've never seen it before'.

'Ivory, is a myth based on our legends. The castle would be hid after a thick fit of mist, unable for anyone from Ethura or Syrilia to see it', she stops when she sees my look. I didn't understand.

'It's a myth Rosalia, don't let it bother you that much'. She adds before someone else walks in the room. My father leans against the door frame, relieve all over his face. Maybe the Selection wasn't only for my sister to become leader, but also for my father, to finally have a little rest.

'I hope this room is ideal for the young man', he says to Madame Orsini, ignoring the fact that his daughter stands in front of him. 'Once it'll be clean the man will love it', she confirms.

'What are they using it for?' I ask curious when my father finally catches my look. 'We thought it might be a good idea to give them some classes on our history, making sure they are well informed', my father says before nodding his head and leaving the room.

'Excuse me', I say to Madame Orsini who bows before I close the door behind me. 'Father', I say while I overtake him.

'Rosalia, I'm busy', he answers calm and walks up the stairs to the first floor. 'I was wondering if I could help with something', I ask after sighing deep. He turns around in a rush, standing on top of the stairs. Looking at me as if I said something weird.

'Helping?' He asks as if he didn't hear me. 'I thought that I could help you now that everyone seems busy', I try again. A vague smile appears on his face and after a few seconds he nods a little.

'I may know something. Come to my office tomorrow morning', he says before turning around and leaving me behind on the staircase. At least I have tried to sound sincere. I hope that whatever he had planned for me was something exciting, not organising his bookshelf.