༒ Eighty-eight ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

The sun rose up early that morning, giving me enough light to re-write my speech. What did my father expect me to tell about the death of my sister? Why was I the person who had to tell our staff and the citizens what was going on? He had given me a hard time, but with a little help of Jade I had managed to write a few sentences. Talking about my memories, the things we have lost and hope we may have. It should be enough.

I didn't want to disappoint my father. I had been up all night to come up with a better speech, something that would blow away every person in that room. But the harsh reality was that this shouldn't be a moment of power, we were still mourning over the loved ones we had lost. I couldn't place my feelings myself.

I look up from my paper, staring at the new picture on my desk. Valentina did have a picture of us with Elliott apparently, only it had been hidden in her desk which made me a little nauseous but still I was glad Olivia had found it and given it to me.

We all seemed happy back then while we were sitting on our swing outside in mom's garden. The cliffs behind us, the waterfall being its usual gorgeous self. We had been carefree at that moment, I knew mom still had been alive at that moment. She had taken the picture.

I hold it in my hands for a moment, looking right in Valentina's eyes. She hadn't known she only had a few years left, neither did one of us. I see a tear running down my face when I look at my reflection in the glass, a knock on my door waking me up from my thoughts.

'Come in', I mumble softer than I was planning on. Around the corner of my door, Olivia walks in wearing a long black dress. Her face still filled with pain.

'Are you feeling better?' I ask when she sits down on my bed, staring at a tiny notebook in her hands.

'I'll be fine', she whispers before looking up to me. 'I can't ever be able to say goodbye in a proper way but none of us could', she adds. I nod a little, realising how true that was. My last conversation with my sister had been a fight. If I would've known that was the last time I would've seen her, I would hug her tight, begging her not to leave me. Regret comes too late.

Levi had also been keeping his distance the last time I saw him during the photoshoot, he had been tired but too proud to admit it. I wish I had seen one more of his comforting smiles that day but nothing could've made him glad.

'I found something in Val's desk yesterday', Olivia wakes me up from my thoughts, standing up to hand me the notebook.

'What is this?' I ask confused when I open it and see Val's handwriting all over it.

'She called it her lawbook. Valentina was making plans to rule the Kingdom better. I have to admit some ideas are a little ridiculous but I'm sure you'll find something good in it'.

'Why do you want me to have this?' I ask when she turns around to leave.

'I know every single rule in there, Rosalia. Trust me if I say some of them you may like', she whispers before opening my door and leaves me behind. I read them all at once, not able to hold myself when I look down at a sentence and my eyes widen a little.

Val had written a rule in my benefit, even my name stood behind it. I look from the notebook to my speech and quickly take a pen to adjust it. Olivia had helped me to bring people some good news at the end, but first I had to ask my father for his permission.

⇺ ⇻ ♕ ⇺ ⇻

'Father?' I ask when I open his bedroom door. Into my expectations he sits behind his small desk, wearing his suit for the funeral, barely looking up when I walk in.