༒ Fifty-six ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

The following days, the newspaper was filled with stories about riots in Ethura. Out of nowhere soldiers from another Kingdom tried to get in our village and sometimes they succeeded. Levi had gone back to the Separation Bridge to protect us with some other soldiers and August stayed with us, to make sure I would stay alive.

After my conversation with Cameron, I realised how less control I had over my feelings. The past days I had focused on myself more, to make sure I was healthy and my strength came back. After some drinks from our sorcerer, I felt good again. A vague glimpse of the person I used to be revealed again, and that was all thanks to Madame Orsini who wanted to make sure I would stay healthy.

The tension during breakfast was horrible. My father and I hadn't spoken since our fight, neither did my sister who looked at me as she used to. First, I had my family back, and now I had lost them all over again.

I look up from my plate, Cameron's eyes rest on me and I turn away uncomfortable, not knowing what to tell him. Even Ezra who normally seemed amused by my awkwardness was calm, staring at his food but not eating it. He wasn't allowed to have contact with his aunt anymore, neither with his niece Francesca. We had to make sure that my father was the only one who wrote them letters, but so far, she hadn't answered one of them. It frustrated my father a lot, and I was feeling more tense than usual. Sir Woods rolls towards us in his wheelchair and quickly takes my father by his shoulder.

'There was another riot. Levi send an owl about an hour ago. He was guarding the Separation Bridge when out of nowhere the enemy was already in the village. They destroyed some market stalls but this time threatened to kill the citizens', he whispers, only loud enough for me to hear. My father's eyes widen when for the first time he glances at me, and mumbles something back to Sir Woods who disappears after that.

'How can Syrilia attack if the bridge is guarded and protected by a magnetic field?' I ask, breaking the silence. All faces focus on me when I speak up for the first time in a month. Some of them enjoy it, others seem annoyed.

'How do you know about that field?' My father asks tense, telling me that there were others who were unaware about this.

'I have my sources', I answer calmly, a vague grin appearing on Cameron's face. I smile too, but look down quickly. How did he do this? Why did I even bother looking at him? He made me crazy. But he was also the only person who had ever seen the true me. His sister admired me, he had told. I wonder if that would still be the case.

My father doesn't answer anymore and for the first time during the Selection, it is Theodore who interrupts the silence.

'I have read something about soldiers who transport from one place to another. They are a kind of wizard', he notices, his cheeks turning red from all the attention he suddenly gets.

'Which Kingdom do they belong too?' I ask curious.

'Ivory, I believe', Cameron remarks, giving me a wink from the other side of the table. I stare at both of them, realising what was going on. Cameron must know this from his grandfather, and he trapped the poor Theodore to help him. My father sighs and stands up, leaving us behind without any warning. I stand up too, my legs shaking a little when I excuse myself and walk out of the Great Hall.

Cameron stares a little concerned at me. It was clear he wouldn't give up, and I had no idea why I interested him in the first place.