༒ Twenty-eight ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

Since the arrival of our candidates, Ezra seemed to have much fun by giving me a hard time. Of course no one would say something about it, he was our guest and seemed to have a good relationship with my father, who all of a sudden was truly interested in Syrilia.

'Our Queen doesn't show herself much', Ezra told us at diner a few night ago. 'The citizens give her a lot of hate since the King ran away'.

'A king running away from his own Kingdom, that's a mess', my father answered. The rest of us didn't say much. Our usual table in the front of the hall had taken place for a new round one, only for our royalty family, Uncle August and the three young man.

Theodore and Cameron weren't much of talkers but still we made sure to get to know them a little more.

'I'm a painter', Theodore had answered when my father asked after his living situation. 'We can effort a lot, but we rather not spend too much money on useless things'. My father agreed on that proudly and then turned to Cameron who sat in front of me. His green eyes shining in the light of the candles.

'Tell me something more about you. I don't have much time to get to know all of you', my father joked but barely someone laughed. Cameron looked around the table, the typical face expression of a soft boy that didn't want to talk wastefully. There was something about him, even Valentina looked at him in interest.

'My parents are farmers, sir. I have one younger sister, Audrey. My family doesn't have much but we have each other. Sometimes that is enough', he answers calm. My father nods in agreement again.

'As long as we have family we are fine', he noticed which made Cameron smile a little, as if he had past for a test.

That was two nights ago, and still I hadn't had proper contact with any of the candidates, only Ezra who ran into me all the time, mocking me. I could get him send away, but that wasn't up to me. I wouldn't spend my time by focusing on him. I had more important things to figure out. I needed that stupid history book.

After the incident with the dragons my father didn't want me to go to the roof again, but of course I didn't listen. That dragon would get lost if he didn't calm down a little. It was the moment when he let me see that dark cloaked woman, he had panicked.

I hadn't seen her face, but something told me I had to figure out who she was. She must be a citizen of Syrilia, there was no other option, we saved this dragon out of their Kingdom. They couldn't take care of them.

Levi took his position on the field, ready to start a fight with Cameron, both armoured in their knight outfits, swords in their hands. They seemed to get along well, even though Cameron always kept silent. He only used to talk when someone asked him something, it would take a lot of effort to have a proper conversation with him.

'That boy has talent, he only needs a little more practise', August notices, sitting next to me on a bench. I couldn't risk to go on the field right now, the cameras were filming their training.

'I think that Cameron would make a great soldier', I agree with him. The clattering of swords was the only sound outside, for the first time in days the wind held still and I couldn't be more happy about that.

'I talked to Sir Woods and followed your advice. Levi is from now on First knight', August says proud.

'That is amazing! Does he know?'

'I told him yesterday, you had to see the excitement in his eyes', he smiles. Levi smashes the sword out of Cameron's hands and they both bow. I stand up, clapping in my hands when Levi waves at me, Cameron only giving me a mysterious look. August stands up, complaining a little when he has too much pressure on his arm.

'Is the wound better?' I ask concerned, seeing the pain on his face. 'I've had worse', he assures me. When I turn around Levi runs towards us, he couldn't possibly be happier.

'I'm first knight!' he screams, taking me in his arms. 'I'm so proud of you!'

'Honestly Rosa, I'm not sure what you told my father but thank you!' He squeezes me one more time before releasing me. We join Cameron while walking back to the castle, the first thick clouds of a heavy storm approaching us.

'Cameron has started teaching the dragon', Levi says, giving me a look. Cameron stares in front of him, a soft smile on his face. 'That is great. I haven't had a chance to thank you', I say, trying to catch his look.

'You don't have to thank me princess, it's my pleasure'. He gives me a short glance before quickly turning his face again. He ignores me the rest of the time when Levi tries to get something more out of him. If Valentina wanted to find an honest King, Cameron was the perfect candidate, I realise. But something about that thought makes me feel miserable when I look up at his face, realising how much I wanted to talk to him.