༒ Seventy-eight ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

No one could find my father that morning. The sun wasn't even up yet, but it seemed that every person in my life was already awake, taking care of me. Including Cameron.

He sat by my side, trying to get my fever away with a cold towel. It didn't work. I wasn't sick, I was panicked and the burning in my throat didn't stop. August had told me one thing, and that was not to scream. I could kill everyone around me. I knew why the Shadow Woman was after me, she wanted my voice. Still I was wondering why she needed Queen Emersyn. For as far as I knew she wasn't in the possession of a deathly scream.

Once I felt good enough to stand up, I did and let Cameron bring me to my father's office. It was completely abandoned, no sign of him. Only my sister sat behind his desk, looking up when we both walked in, a grimace playing on her face for a second. She knew too much.

'Cameron please join the other candidates while we wait for our father', Valentina demands him and with one last bow, he disappears through the door. It was that moment I realised that we weren't alone but accompanied by at least three guards. I look at them questionable before I take a seat, wondering why they are standing in this room.

'They have to protect us. Father is nowhere to be seen and it worries me a lot', Val explains as if she can read my mind. I nod a little, my throat still burning when I try to swallow.

'Where is Elliott?' I ask concerned.

'I asked Madame Orsini to take care of him and all the other children around the castle. He is only fourteen, he needs protection'.

'You have this situation under control', I notice surprised. She looks up at me, a vague smile on her face when I say that.

'Why else do you think I spend that much time in my bedroom? I have been planning a lot', she raises an eyebrow, making me more curious than I have to be.

'Your crown prince?' I ask.

'That's not important', she whispers before someone knocks on the door, not bothering for an answer. Sir Woods rolls in with his wheelchair, holding a letter in his hand.

'Your father is in the village', he explains quickly. Val stands up in a rush, not understanding why he would be there. I also look shocked at Sir Woods when he hands Val the letter. She reads it quickly, her eyes racing over the paper before she lays it down on the desk in disbelief.

'They appeared again', she whispers after a moment of silence. Without asking I take the letter immediately, seeing Levi's handwriting all over it. The war had started again, and he had seen my father fighting along with the other soldiers. My hands start shaking before Sir Woods takes them in his', trying to calm me down.

'Sit down, Rosalia.' He gestures at the seat behind me and I listen in an instant. Feeling a little dizzy.

'Listen, the dark soldiers weren't only in the village this night. Some of the staff saw them in the castle', he explains soft. My sister walks to the window, holding a hand against her forehead when she tries to come up with an idea. I was sure she didn't have a plan for this situation, neither had I.

'We don't have enough guards to protect both the village and the castle', she says desperate, not turning to face us. 'We have to divide them over both places I don't see another option'. Sir Woods looks at me while I'm thinking of a solution but it seems I'm just as desperate as both of them. If only they hadn't made the rule that woman weren't allowed to fight we would have a lot more protection.

'I'm fighting in the castle', I whisper. Valentina turns to me quickly, pointing a finger at me.

'You aren't! They are after you, we have to protect your life'.

'They are after me! I am the reason that so many soldiers and citizens have died during that test. I will fight', I insist.

'You didn't ask for the deathly scream. You don't owe us', Val hisses between her teeth.

'Neither did our mother and still she fought'. My anger raises up in an instant. I had to get control over the scream, only that way I could kill the right people, the people who had been threatening us. Otherwise I would kill the ones I loved the most.

'Rosalia, calm down', Sir Woods whispers. I turn my head towards him, his eyes widening a little when I look at him.

'Valentina get Madame Orsini', he insists without blinking.

'Why?' She turns towards us, the same expression on her face when she gets a look of me. Without saying another word she leaves the room in a rush, followed by two guards.

'Your eyes are red again Rosalia, we have to calm you down', he explains while taking my hands again. I release my hands immediately and walk over to the window, fear raising up when I see myself in the reflexion.

'You'll be fine. Please, take a seat. Madame Orsini will know how to help you', he assures me again, but I can't breathe normally. No matter how hard I try. My father was in the village, he had been fighting and we were standing here, doing nothing.

The sun was coming up when Madame Orsini ran in the office, followed by my sister and the guards. Without doubt she handed me a drink that had a rare orange colour but I was shaking so hard to fight the pain that she had to hold the cup herself.

I'm not sure what she had given me, but it didn't take long for the pain to ease down, tears running down my eyes once I was released. I was still shaking, feeling the pain slowly go away when I saw Elliott standing in the doorway. His eyes glassy from sadness when he saw me this way. I wasn't always that strong and he knew it.