༒ Sixty-eight ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

It seemed that everyone needed a little break from all the tension and fear around us. Which is why I decided to gather Theodore, Jade and Levi in my room, trying to find our peace back together. I hadn't seen Cameron in a few days, it seemed like he had disappeared which only made my premonition about him being the chosen one, more real.

He wouldn't dare to decline Valentina, they would hang him. I was drowning in my own drama when Levi hands me another drink he had stolen from the kitchen. I take it with a vague smile, the four of us toasting on being alive. For now. I could see Theodore had a hard time, but decided not to mention anything this night. It was something between him and I.

'Remember that day we thought we could fish?' Jade says, laughing already.

'We were horrible. Especially you Rosa', Levi laughs at me and I could remember that day. We had stolen fishing rods the soldiers used and went to sit at a small pool, waiting until something would pull.

'We didn't even have bait!' I say in disbelief and see that Theodore can chuckle a little about our story.

'The worst thing about that day was that we sat there for hours, waiting and waiting until August came to tell us that the pool was cursed', Levi explains. Theodore raises his eyebrows amused, taking another sip of his drink.

'Please tell me there were at least fishes in it?' He asks laughing.

'O, there were, the only problem was that if we would have caught one they would've probably killed us', Jade remarks. We all laugh, leaving Theodore completely stunned while telling other stories about the time we used to hang out as children. All our worries fading away.

'Theodore, tell me, have you any idea who will become the crown prince?' Levi asks after a couple of drinks. I put down my glass, truly interested in what he has to say. Theodore resets, thinking about his answer.

'Well, I dare not to make any statements', he starts doubting. 'At this moment it isn't as clear. Princess Valentina is taking a lot of distance from us, even from Ezra', he explains soft.

'I wonder how long this Selection will go one', Jade sighs deep, Levi laying his hand on her arm.

'The other candidates are also taking their distance, I believe. Normally we used to hang out all the time, but now I sit here and Ezra is probably making plans on how to become more powerful', he laughs and we all follow him. Ezra wasn't much loved around here. 'And Cameron he has been rather quiet lately, I mean he already was but it is different. He is trying to fight again but his leg still hurts sometimes. He spends most of his time in the Rose Garden', Theodore notices and takes another drink. I look up at him, my eyes widening a little when butterflies raise up my stomach again.

'The Rose Garden?' I ask curious. He nods a little when Jade winks shortly at me.

'He told me he feels safe there', Theo adds. After that we joke a little around, not everyone as interested as before. We had found our peace in each other but all I could care about now, was finding Cameron.

⇺              ⇻ ♕ ⇺              ⇻

When everyone had left I quickly changed my outfit, wearing the cape coat again before running downstairs, making sure no one sees me. I hesitate in front of the double doors that lead to my favourite garden.

Once I open them I see Cameron sitting in a chair, holding a book while he's reading it. His hurt leg resting on a footrest.

'This is where you have been hiding?' I ask softly when I close the doors. He turns his head immediately, his eyes amused when I walk closer. I take a seat in front of him, not even knowing what I'm doing here.

'I have been reading a lot lately. There is not much else I can do', he mumbles.

'Theodore told me you are fighting again', I confront him. He laughs a little, shaking his head in disbelief.

'Of course he has'.

'You should be careful. I can't save you all the time', I say sarcastic. He gestures his hand towards mine and I take it immediately, wanting to feel loved.

'I owe you a lot more than you realise, Rosalia', he whispers. I take both my hands around his, staring in those green eyes.

'You owe me nothing'.

'Would you have come to the battle field if I wasn't there?' He asks careful.

'I ... I'm not sure', I decide to be honest.

'You wanted to give your life for mine, that means something'. I look down at our hands, not knowing what to tell him. When I don't answer he opens his book again, releasing our hands softly.

'I may be in love with the wrong young lady, but I know she is the right decision', he reads out loud. I laugh a little, not understanding this boy at all.

'There is no way it says that', I remark. He shuffles up a little to make room next to him, his eyebrows raising.

'You want to see yourself?' He asks and I stand up to sit next to him. His warmth immediately against my body. I couldn't feel more safe. He points at a sentence in the book, looking amused when I see it.

'Our love is irresistible, there is no chance I can deny my feelings, neither can she', he reads again. I look at the next sentence, holding my breath for a moment.

'She saved my life', I read out loud. We both look at each other for a moment, our gazes not loosening. And that is when I realised that I loved him. I love Cameron Roman.