༒ Ninety-one ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

I walk through the double doors that lead to my favourite garden, completely burned down. The upcoming sun announced a new day, another day where our faith had grown, another day where we wanted to believe that everything would be alright. We knew better at this point, but hope was all we had.

Against the small wall I see Cameron standing, staring at the view of the cliffs, the sound of the waterfall shattering in the distance. At least that gave this place a little more light, we could use it. I stand next to him, both of us not saying a word. The warmth of the sun approaching my skin as it always does, welcoming me.

'Father went to the village yesterday morning. Our house burned down', he says after a while.

'How bad is it?' I ask concerned when he turns to me, the sun shining in his eyes.

'We have to find another home for the following months. I'm sure my aunt will let us stay with her'.

'You are always welcome in the castle', I remind him.

'That is very generous, but you've already done too much for us', he whispers. I turn to him, looking him in the eyes when our hands touch softly.

'Cameron, I honestly would like you and your family to stay with us until your home is repaired. We don't mind and besides, we could use your help rebuilding our castle', I say jokingly. He smiles a little, taking me in his arms when he lays his mouth against my hair. I grab my arms around him, holding him tighter than I had ever done before.

'You're a Crown Princess now', he notices.

'Does that bother you?' I ask concerned, remembering he never wanted to become Royalty.

'Of course not. You are still the same silly girl', he answers amused and I softly push against his shoulder, both our laughs sounding in this lonely place. The material in our lives doesn't matter, love comes from the people around us and I am glad I realise that now.

'Rosa?' Jade's voice sound from in the hallway. Both Cameron and I walk towards it, meeting Jade at the double doors, completely out of breath.

'Everything alright?' Cameron asks when she leans against the doorframe.

'Theodore is leaving. They are in the front of the castle', she says with effort. I look at her, my eyes widening a little when I run in the corridor. He hadn't told me he was leaving, not now.

I enter the main hall when I almost fall over the new carpet, straight to the borders of our entrance, seeing a carriage packed with stuff. Only August stands outside, talking to Theodore's parents, him holding a little distance from them. I quickly run over to Theodore, almost jumping in his arms when I approach him.

'You weren't leaving without saying goodbye, were you?' I ask when I realise how much I would miss him.

'Of course not. That is why I asked Jade to search you'. We release each other, holding onto each other's when I look in his eyes.

'You can always stay longer in the castle', I remind him but he shakes his head.

'I believe my time in this castle has come to an end. A lot has happened here', he says soft. I could see the pain in his eyes over the loss of his friends. There had been a lot of deaths during the last war, it was almost a miracle all the candidates had survived.

'I understand', I whisper. He takes me in his arms again, a warm hug just like Cameron's. Only Cam's were better, at least for me.

'I didn't know you and Cameron were a thing', he notices and I release him, laughing a little. I didn't want to talk about that.

'I'm not even sure what we are', I sigh a little. He could see my frustration clearly. 'I have to focus on more important things at this moment'.

'You may, but don't forget that a little love won't do any harm', Theo notices. I take both his hands, one last smile before his mother calls him, ready to leave.

'I'll miss you', he assures me.

'Write me. I mean it', I say before our hands release and he follows his mother into the carriage.

'Every week!' he promises and with that the door closes. Leaving me alone with August in front of the castle. I stare at them until the carriage become invisible behind the gates, not bigger than an ant. August lays his hand on my shoulder, with one look making clear he wasn't pleased about this situation either. We had to say goodbye to friends we had made over the past months, at least they had survived. With one nod I follow him inside, walking up the stairs to the main hall.

'We will have a brighter future, right?' I hold still, trying to get an honest answer of him.

'I'll help you achieve it', he promises before we walk in. Leaving the beauty behind to walk in the nightmare again.