༒ Eighty ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

Later that day, after I had calmed down, I regretted the things I had said even more. I knew father didn't want me to fight, no one wanted me to fight. But still I wanted to defend Ethura no matter what. No one seemed to understand why my whole family was tense, and it scared a few people. That is only why it seemed fair enough to spend some time with the families of the candidates, especially with one girl that has been afraid to ask for my attention.

Cameron begged me to hang out with his sister while the candidates had interviews. Audrey had been afraid to ask for my time and Cameron wanted to surprise her. Around noon I went to her bedroom and knocked on the door waiting for an answer when she unlocked it herself and her eyes widened immediately. We stared at each other for a moment, not saying a word when she bowed clumsy once she remembered who I was.

'Princess Rosalia', she says polite, her voice a little shaking. I laugh and walk in her bedroom when she opens the door more. I had never been in the guests bedrooms. They looked a little like mine only less detailed.

Audrey sat down on her bed, all of a sudden shy when I get a look of the dresses she had in her closet. They were all old and I wouldn't doubt some of them had been from her mother. The South must indeed be as poor as Cameron had told me.

'My mom made those dresses', she interrupts the silence. I take one out of her closet, getting a closer look of it. The fabric was simple, but her mother did have talent.

'They are gorgeous', I notice and hang it back.

'Not as wonderful as your dresses, princess Rosalia', she sighs deep, stretching herself on the bed which makes me laugh a little.

'Please Audrey, call me Rosa'. She gets up in a second, blown away by what I had said.

'May I?' she asks excited.

'Of course. And about those dresses, I think my friend would love to make you one', I suggest. Her mouth falls open in only a second.

'I couldn't except that princess ... I mean Rosa'.

'Yes you can', I assure her and walk over to the rather small window in her bedroom. It seemed that the guest rooms only had a view on the trees outside, noting spectacular. The sun was shining bright in the sky and downstairs I could see the stables with the horses that weren't in town.

'Audrey, would you like to join me during horseback riding?' I ask, looking over at her. Her eyes widen a little, her short hair moving around her face when she nods in excitement.

'Great, come with me', I say and she follows me out of her room, down the stairs to the main entrance.

'You look a lot like your brother, he used to be quiet too at first', I notice when she doesn't say a word the whole time. When I saw her at first I thought she was a lively child but maybe I had been wrong about that.

'Normally I am a little louder, but my mother wants me to keep quiet', she explains, smiling when a guard bows for us after opening the door.

'Why does she want that?'

'She doesn't want me to be energetic. I guess she doesn't want to be embarrassed, that is always how it goes you know? Once we visit someone I have to be the shy girl. I don't want to be that, I want to be brave, just like you', she rattles on. It makes me laugh a little until I realise what she had actually said.

'Audrey I won't consider myself brave'.

'But of course you are! You saved my brother's life, you hunt deer with arrow and bow, you ...'

'How do you know that last one?' I ask shocked. No one had known about that except for the people who knew me very well. Cameron knew he wasn't allowed to tell it to other citizens. I didn't want them to know.

'O, I believe Ezra had told it in an interview', she looks down, a little stunned by my reaction.

'Of course he did', I mumble when we walk further to the stables. 'Sir, please prepare my horse and another horse for my guest', I demand the young man that takes care of our animals. He does immediately and within five minutes the two of us are walking around with the horses, followed by a guard that has to guarantee our safety.

'Are you always being followed by guards?' Audrey asks curious when we walk through the open field.

'More than I want to', I answer and she giggles a little.

'Tell me something about you', I say after a moment of silence. She thinks for a while before answering. I didn't care what she would tell me, as long as she was happy.

'Well I live with my parents and Cameron in the South. We don't own much and one of our market stalls caught fire during the riots. But I'm sure once Cameron is back home he'll fix it, he works the whole day and even at night to make sure we earn enough. He is a good brother'.

'Once Cameron is home?' I ask confused and we stop under an apple tree. I take two apples, one for each of us and we stand there for a moment, enjoying the view.

'Well I think he would be a great Crown Prince, but I believe Princess Valentina will choose Ezra', she mumbles before biting in her apple.

'Why do you think that?'

'They seem to be more alike. It is only a cause of looking from the right perspective', she answers calm. I stare at her for a while, observing the same green eyes as Cameron has. Just like my brother, this young woman wasn't a child. She was much smarter than I thought she would be.

'You said Cameron works all the time?' I ask to change the subject.

'He does. In the day he helps other farmers or helps people who need some help. He doesn't only want to earn money, he loves to help them. Sometimes in the night he walks with the local soldiers to make sure our town is crime free. The South is kind of dangerous', she explains.

'When does he sleep?' I ask sarcastic.

'He sleeps barely'. Audrey stares in front of her. I could see the pain in her eyes when she talks about her brother.

'You miss him, don't you?' I whisper.

'A lot', she answers before we walk further. Cameron works all the time apparently, that hadn't been my first impression of him. Not even close.

'Isn't that your brother?' Audrey asks while looking at Elliott sitting under another tree, holding a book in his hands. I gesture to follow me when we climb of our horses, handing them to the guard behind us.

'Elliott meet Audrey', I say when we are almost near him. He stands up quickly, bowing for her as the gentlemen he is.

'Cameron Roman's sister. It is a pleasure to meet you', he says before shaking her hand. Audrey smiles polite at him, not knowing what to answer.

'Why aren't you guarded?' I ask when I don't see anyone around him.

'I'm fine, Rosa. I'm only reading', he sighs before sitting down.

'Yes, but ...'

'Is that the history of curses?' Audrey asks curious when she sees the book. Elliott looks up in confusion, not used to have strangers talk to him.

'I wanted to read this in school one time, but the teachers won't help me with reading because I'm from the South', she adds annoyed.

'Maybe your teachers should respect you more', Elliott remarks and both of them smile.

'Audrey, why don't you join my brother for a while. Maybe he can help you understand the words better', I suggest when I realise how late it already is.

Without doubting Audrey takes a seat next to Elliott under the tree. She keeps on rattling to Elliott who seems truly interested in what she has to tell. The guard stays with them, while I walk back to the castle, the sky darkening a little.

Sometimes you can feel it in your stomach when something is about to come. I could feel it now. With one last look at the village in the distance I walk in, trying not to think about possible danger.