༒ Sixty-seven ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

The next day I woke up early, not able to sleep because of the light that shone through my curtains. Quickly I put on a rather short dress and my cape coat over it, not expecting the journalists to be already awake. I wander around our castle, some parts of it still a little damaged. They hadn't even found their way in the castle, this damage was all our fault. How ironic.

I ran down the stairs and hold at my mother's painting, realising how less I had done that over the months. I used to stand here at least every week, looking at the brave Queen in front of me. Her green coronation dress perfectly made for her. My sister had ruined a part of that by wearing it. But that accident laid way behind us.

I walk through the halls downstairs when I see someone standing on the graveyard outside, his curly hair blowing in the wind. I turn around quickly and walk towards the two guards who protect the gate in the main hall.

'Princess Rosalia', they both bow for me and I nod shortly.

'Am I allowed to go outside, sir?' I focus on one of them, his face doubting immediately. 'Please someone is waiting for me, I promised to be moral support', I lie.

'The candidate?' One of them asks.

'Theodore and I have become great friends. I don't want him to be alone there', I explain quickly. The other one nods in agreement and they let me through after a while.

I run down the few stairs, follow the small path that leads to our graveyard when I see Theodore standing. His gaze completely lost. I walk closer, trying not to scare him when I look at the new graves. Most of them didn't even have a tombstone yet.

'Theo', I say soft and he turns around quickly. His eyes a little red.

'Rosalia', he whispers hoarse.

'Are you feeling good?' My concern raises up when I see the pain in his eyes.

'I am lucky to stand here, that is all'. I nod a little not knowing what to tell him. 'It could have been me in here', he notices.

'You should not think about that, Theo'.

'But it could have been me', he says again, louder this time. I lay a hand on his shoulder, trying to comfort him.

'We were lucky to have survived this and now a possible other war is coming', he says desperate and kneels down on the ground, his suit dirty of the mud.

'You are alive because that is how it had to be. Our founder is watching over us', I assure him but he nods his head.

'Cameron wasn't that lucky, he would've been death if you didn't save him'. I feel a stab in my stomach, hoping he wouldn't see right through me as the smart boy he is.

'I only happened to see him'.

'Still, he is alive', Theo mumbles.

'So are you', I remind him. I take him by his arm, forcing him to stand up from the dirt.

'Theodore, if there comes another war and you don't want to fight, you don't have too'.

'I want to fight, but that doesn't mean I'm not scared', he says soft. 'I don't understand how you do it, Rosalia. You could be safe in the dungeons and instead you decide to save the life of others'.

'I was scared too', I admit for the first time. 'I think we all are', I add when he looks at the ground. 'You have an incredible personality Theodore, don't let this ruin you', I say before turning around and walk away slowly, tears in my eyes. I didn't want to show him my fear, people had seen me weak enough by now.

⇺              ⇻ ♕ ⇺              ⇻

Later that day my father had asked Levi to bring me to his office. Of course he hadn't the time to ask me himself, I could've expect that. When I walk in his office, Levi closes the door after leaving me behind. I stare at my father who is accompanied by Valentina and Sir Woods. There was only one spot left around the table and I assumed it was for me.

After a gesture of Sir Woods I sit down, feeling the tension in the air when none of them say a worth. They had been looking through papers most of the time, and I sat here completely useless until my father decided to talk to me.

'We have to come up with ideas to prevent the safety of our citizens', he explains. I look over at Sir Woods, questioning why I was here and he smiles a little. A twinkle in his eyes.

'My advisers are already thinking of solutions but so far I haven't heard from them'. I look over at Valentina who focuses on the desk, clearly trying hard to think about something to help.

'The guards are already in the village, and to be sure they have gathered around the Separation Bridge', Sir woods notices.

'Why? I thought Syrilia didn't want a war', I ask confused.

'Queen Emersyn may tell that but that doesn't mean others can't use the bridge', my father answers without giving me a look. I sink down a little, hating these kind of meetings. I was only sixteen, what did they need me for? The night of the gala had been haunting me in my head for more than a month now. If it was true that the Queen had mercy I had to apologize in some way, but now wasn't the right time. At least if I would ever get the chance again.

'August told me that once the Shadow Woman shows you visions that you won't be alive for a long time. Queen Emersyn had those visions also, what does that mean?' I ask curious. Sir Woods widens his eyes, clearly this was new information for him.

'It means that August shouldn't tell you these kind of things. The Queen isn't our responsibility', my father answers irritated.

'But what if she is in danger also?'

'Rosalia that isn't why we are here', he says loud, looking me in the eyes for the first time in weeks. I nod at him, overthinking my own thoughts, until Valentina speaks up.

'What if we ask Syrilia for help?' She suggests.

'They have their own problems now', my father notices. My sister looks immediately down, as if she had failed an assignment. I think back of Iris, the princess of Parisha who had seen me during the gala.

'If we can't ask Syrilia, maybe we can ask Parisha and Tugoa? If their sorcerers would help protect our kingdom there is a much higher change the citizens will feel save', I explain quickly. Everybody keeps quiet for a moment, my sister staring in front of her with a harsh look in her eyes.

'We can consider this', Sir Woods says to my father.

'If only they want to help us. They probably need their own sorcerers', my father sighs. Valentina stands up abruptly and walks towards the door without any warning.

'Excuse me', she mumbles and closes the door behind her. Levi still stands in the hall to escort me back. Valentina had never done anything like this before, and it worried me more than I expected.

'Is something going on with her?' I ask concerned, but my father ignores that. Trying to figure out a way how my idea can work at least a little. I don't follow the conversation anymore, for the first time in months I was honestly worried about my sister. What if something was going on with the Selection? Or what if she had decided to choose Cameron and he had declined her.

Panic raises up when Sir Woods mumbles my name. I look up at him, a vague smile appearing on his face.

'Dear, you have to stay with us', he laughs a little. My father on the other hand couldn't laugh about it.

'We have to find other ways also, maybe Madame Orsini and Augustus can help us?', Sir Woods asks.

'I think we should ask Elliott also', I remark. My father looks up quickly, his eyes narrowing mine.

'Elliott?' He asks almost amused. I sigh deep, seeing how less confidence he has in his own son.

'Elliott is rather smart, father. You may not have realised but he probably knows more than most of your advisers', I catch back, his smile disappearing quickly. The tension was back in only seconds.

'I think that is a great idea', Sir Woods remarks and with that one last sentence, our meeting was over.